ad: AlphaRF-1

Thoughts on Rohn 55 Fold-Over

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KA8NCR, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

On Thursday, I'm having my Rohn 25 tower disassembled because it has gone off plumb due to soil compaction. Despite my best efforts to keep it away from soil disturbed during home construction, I was off.

Already considering a new tower, 30' fold-over. Load will be 6m and 2m antennas, and a TV yagi, approximately 25 lbs.

Anyone have this type of tower and if so, thoughts?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rohn hasn't made fold-over towers in many years.

Are you looking at a used one?

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thoughts on Rohn 55 Fold-Over

They are much more Structural sound than the R25 you talked about in your post.
    Are you thinking a tilt over base?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, the tilt-over bases are common and still sold.

The "FK" towers (fold-overs) went away a long time ago.

Also: A Rohn 55G for a 30' tower is a bit nutty unless you plan to put an enormous load on it. 55G's are more common at the 100'+ levels.

K0UO likes this.
  5. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you looking for a free-standing tower? The fold-over towers required guy wires, but they are no longer available new. Is there something wrong with your 25G other than the base? You could put in a new base section and re-use the rest of the existing tower.

K0UO likes this.
  6. KA8NCR

Yes, the tower with the 9’ base section with the tilt.

7. KA8NCR

That remains an option. The existing tower is +25 years old, and if I have to install a base, I am considering a base for something more substantial.

So to answer your question, aside from some galvanization oxidation and very minor surface rust, nothing is wrong with these sections.

8. KA8NCR

This is a fair criticism. Here’s my problem, in order to get a monster tower, technically I need to put it at a fall distance away from an unused utility easement. That puts transmission line lengths at pretty long distances from the shack.

I could build a doghouse and remote everything, which wasn’t an easy option even 10 years ago. But who wants to put a pretty radio out in the far yard for spiders to enjoy?

This is a long-horizon project, so open to a lot of suggestions.

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How far away are you talking

10. KA8NCR

Somewhere between 400’ to 500’.