Thoughts on grounding plate

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI5AAI, Jun 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to install the polyphasers and antenna switch this weekend. The entrance panel I have has an aluminum plate in it (1/8" thick). I prefer copper. I have some copper grounding plate left over from an old project. It is 1/16" thick.

Option A: Just use the copper plate. The only thing about that is that it is not very thick and may bend or move with all the polyphasers and cables on it.

Option B: Cut a piece of the copper and put it over the aluminum plate. I have enough for front and back. I was going to spread Noalox in between if I do that. This would give me a good copper grounding plate and very durable.

Grounding plate.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Copper in contact with aluminum can result in corrosion exposed to the outdoor environment.

The 1/16 inch thick copper is plenty thick by itself for the grounding purposes. If it were me, I'd just use the copper. If you are concerned about it not being stiff enough, screw it down to some wood, plastic, fiberglass, etc.

NH7RO likes this.
  3. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, I could just double up the copper :). Thanks for the input.

NH7RO likes this.
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

It all depends on what is available , and any load issues .
    You could use contact adhesive on a peace of plywood , the issue would be if the copper sheet is able to carry the current --- think of PCB's .

NH7RO likes this.
  5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Find a local water jetting or machine shop. I just got 1/4" X 1.75" X 4'L copper, that was scrap from a waterjet job. Also, the 1/4X1/4 leftover parts (About 15 linear feet). $30. Cheaper than scrap value.

Ed

NH7RO likes this.
  6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Like this?

peace_sign_ply_light_580x.jpg

K9ASE likes this.