THOUGHTS - Digital Voice On UNDERUSED Bands Like 6M & 1.2 Ghz

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB0OXD, Jun 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KB0OXD

KB0OXD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys

With all the Hotspots & Dongles out there cluttering the Digital Voice portion of the 440 band (Mainly because of all the cheap radios out there) which is (At least in some areas) causing the looping effect plaguing (Mainly) TAC-310 on DMR (Though I'm sure other TGs & Reflectors are getting it too), I have been wondering if Hams (Especially with those who ACTUALLY HAVE the radios) have considered using bands like 6M & 1.2 Ghz. to park their Hotspots

According to the ARRL Band Plan, there's room on 6M between 50.3 to 50.6 in the All modes section & between 53.52 to 53.9 (It says Simplex but it doesn't say whether it can be FM, Digital or both). On the 1.2 Ghz. band, there appears to be room between 1248.0 & 1252.0 (It says Digital but doesn't say whether it can be Digital Voice or Packet) as well as 1295.0 & 1297.0 (Narrowband segment, which is right up the valley of Digital Voice operations)

Given all of this, HOW IN THE WORLD is it we're NOT using these frequencies to park our Hotspots

I delve into this because I once had a Quad Bander that covered 6M thru 1.2 Ghz (Minus 220 & 902) & I also once had a 220 Mhz radio too. While there's no allocation for Digital modes on 220, it baffles me as to why 6M & 1.2 Ghz. isn't being used

Thoughts ??

Cheers & 73 :)

2. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thoughts... Go play with your dongle anywhere but 6 meters.

ND6M likes this.
  3. KB0OXD

Other than the needed antenna length for an HT (Yes, they still make them but not standalones though :) ) - Why do you say that ??

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

What 6M and or 1.2GHz DMR radios are out there? I am not aware of any. Most DMR radios being used were designed for the commercial market, not Amateur radio. D-Star has some 1.2GHz radios.

And digital voice is still voice - it belongs in the voice sub bands, just like it is on UHF/VHF.

5. KB0OXD

You obviously googled DMR radios recently have you ?? #Shock

You can get a decent DMR radio for around $50 to $100 on Amazon (Yes they DO sell Ham gear). And that's just ONE place you get a radio online WITHOUT going to HRO or DX enginerring & paying their (I know I'm gonna upset some peole for saying this but OHH WELL - BLOATED !!) prices for an ICOM, Kenwood or Yaesu radio

You're OBVIOUSLY not familiar with the BRANDMEISTER DMR network either. IT WAS BUILT BY HAMS - FOR HAMS !!

As for your last comment.....
    If you try telling THAT to your LOCAL FREQUENCY COORDINATOR, they will kindly correct you. The keyword is DIGITAL !! That means IF you were to transmit A DIGITAL signal on (Using your analogy) 146.5625 Mhz simplex (In a calculator, add 146.550 + 0.0125 to get 146.5625) you would likely get likely get the attention (In a most unfavorable manner) from neighboring Hams who hang out there

Same holds true if you were to transmit a digital signal on 147.5675 or 446.0375 (Or WORSE 446.0125) (Where people tend to put their ECHOLINK NODES (And in case of 446.0125 is just 12.5 Khz off the NATIONAL CALLING FREQUENCY of 446.000)). You would QUICKLY become the subject of some UNWANTED attention

That's why local frequency coordinators have set aside spectrum for mixed mode & experimental use (With, as noted above in the case of 1.2 Ghz., spectrum set aside for Digital use (It DOES NOT specify whether it can be digital voice, packet or whatever. All it says is DIGITAL - That's it). That being said, your LOCAL band plan (Which is what you should REALLY go by) is what you should use as the ARRL band plan is really little more than (In this sitation as it applies here) A GUIDE for local frequency coordination (There's NO rule ANYWHERE that says you "Must" follow the ARRL band plan & if you've told THAT, you've been fed a bunch of BULLPUCKY :D LOL

Nice try with the OLD SKOOL thinking though (A for effort :D )

Cheers & 73 :)

Pat

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

This will not end well.jpg

WD4IGX, NL7W, N2NH and 8 others like this.
  7. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you provide a link to a 6 meter DMR radio for under a hundred bucks?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

welcome to the forum. Your passion for DMR and thinking outside the box is appreciated; however, your tone and style will not garner the support and dialogue you desire.
    You seem to hold some prejudices (OLD SKOOL) that infect your beliefs and affect the words you type.

Ham radio is all about experimentation - you seem to be an avid experimenter - so why not go experiment and report back what you find. Hook up a pre-amp to your hotspot and see if it increases its receive range (what about its transmit range?) Park yout hot spot on the digital subbands and see how it works. I believe DV is a digital mode- not voice- so it belongs outside voice subbands. Do some experimentation and report back your findings. Then you'll be able to support your opinions with fact...

Oh, and stop assuming we're all old doddering fools stuck on 2m FM and CW - you wont get too far here with that belief.

NL7W, N2NH, KY5U and 1 other person like this.
  9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First you have to have a hotspot that operates on 6m or 23cm... I don't know of any. Then you can use your 6m or 23cm walkie...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Show him some RESPECT..he passed his Technician no code test.

NY7Q likes this.