This was my very first radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AL7RU, Aug 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember having a crystal radio, hooking up the alligator clip to my bicycle and cruising the neighborhood to impress. At about 10 tears old, that worked as planned. Now, at a most 70, people just don't seem to be impressed!

JUST Joking...haha

Chuck w5ttp

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

Sears Wayfarer 6-band portable circa 1968:
    [​IMG]

Lost it while at college in the early 1980s: couldn't remember who I lent it to & it was gone. Found another one locally a few years back - now I use it to listen to Mariners ballgames when working out in the yard or out in the swim spa. Great sounding rig!

3. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2016-8-9_15-13-26.png upload_2016-8-9_15-14-7.png

Not exactly a K3, but sure enjoyed making contacts as a novice in 1976

W8BE likes this.
  4. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

A Magnavox 6-Transistor from 1962. I discovered that with skillful tuning (a skill which would come in very handy later) I could get
    plenty of far-away stations, like WWL, New Orleans "From the Roosevelt Hotel". magnavoxAM-80.jpg

A couple of years later I became interested in shortwave radio, and dear old dad brought home a Sears Silvertone Tombstone like this one. It worked surprisingly well.
    And, like many here, I started hearing the hams, as well as bugging people for hours listening to WWV. They were still in Greenbelt, Maryland.
    Sivertone SW.jpg I always thought this dial looked cool. silvertone dial.jpg
    Too bad it got left in a damp basement after I moved away and the circuits got moldy. The day we set it out on the curb, mom said it disappeared as soon as we got back in the house.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First real radio.

A KDK 2 meter FM.

100_1685.JPG

K4YND likes this.
  6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

I had one just like this that we bought at a Supermarket in Milwaukee in about 1960.
    We had a Basset Hound & I used to scare him with it!! I'd catch him sleeping & put the radio up next to his ear & turn it on !!! Scared the hell outta him.:eek: One night we went to the Drive-In theater & I left it on the dining-room table. (oops)... When we got home (SAM) had gotten the radio off of the table & KILLED it!!:D The biggest pieces I found were the battery & the speaker !!! (he slept on the floor for the next several nights)

Then there's the time he found & ate a whole bag of Marshmallows while we were gone !! What a mess :rolleyes:

Steve

7. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Made by Satan Helluva radio.

N0NB likes this.
  8. KD2L

KD2L Ham Member QRZ Page

I could pick up WBZ on Sunday mornings when WHDH was off the air for maintenance for an hour.

9. K3YGX

K3YGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my first XTAL radio in '59.....it had a slider to tune with and an alligator clip that I clipped on to an extension cord for an antenna....I lived a block away from Mission Delores in San Francisco. I could get KYA, KDIA and KABL... 2 out of 3 stations were great music, KABL was the old folks stuff.....I was a kid then. the other two were rock & roll and R&B.....that got me started in two life long interests, radio and music.

10. AL7RU

AL7RU Ham Member QRZ Page

And KSFO! Giants games with Russ Hodges & Lon Simmons. Russ the Moose Syracuse.