This thread was started on the Scam Rip off section, but I feel its better to keep this going here.

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KG5RPZ, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KG5RPZ

KG5RPZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ has implemented 2-Factor Authentication as a means of weeding our the "Fakes" This is a step in the right direction in my opinion. However I would like to see each person who wants to buy or sell items via the swap shop have to submit a Government ID, and a copy of their FCC Amateur Radio License. Honest folks should have no issue with this, and I believe it would almost completely stop the scammers.

While NO system is fool proof, I think this would be a wise move to protect both parties engaged in a transaction. I would also like to see QRZ do one more thing to protect the Swapmeet section of the forums. Make it so you cannot see the swapmeet at all via a google search. Make it so you have to be a verified member to even access the Buy/Sell/Trade aspect of the Forums. This way an outsider who hasn't been verified cannot gain access to the information they could in turn use to commit fraud against us the members.

There are bad folks out there, you'll never stop them all, but much like the real world, you don't leave your house unlocked when you are at home or especially if you leave for any period of time. We as Members of the Buy/Sell/Trade need "LOCKS" to keep bad folks out.

With that being said, each person should never send a money order, western union, or a check. I would demand payment or receipt of payment via Paypal Goods and services, NEVER EVER USE Friends and Family within Pay Pal. Another good defense is to fund your paypal with a Credit Card, where Paypal my drop the ball your Credit card company will take care of you.

To those of you who feel this is an inconvenience because you have had success here for x amount of years. You my friends have merely been lucky. There are many many ways to be scammed, some are ways are yet to be discovered, there are people who sit around daily dreaming up ways to rip people off good honest working folks like you and I. You'll never stop them, but doing nothing is the equivalent of giving the Fox a key to the Hen house.

So wrapping up, and I by no means have all the answers, but I do know that doing the same thing expecting a different outcome is by definition insanity. This could be rolled out in such a way that only folks who want to use the Buy/Sell/Trade portion of the forums are required to take the extra steps to prove they are who they say they are.

The rest of the website could remain unchanged, personally however, I'd like to see every single member Verified to some degree, we are here for the same reason Amateur Radio. And for those of you who are merely interested in Ham radio, I'm sure QRZ could allow the public to see portions of the site that appeal to those with aspirations of being a Radio Operator.

My 2 cents for the day!

KG5RPZ

2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your two cents is OK as far as it goes, but here is my point of view...

It is sad that the horse trader section of this hobby/ avocation is apparently filled with villains. Protect yourself by all means, but why use such stringent conditions to those of us who do not trade or buy used equipment?

FWIW, I registered for the two-step ID process because the entire MS world seems to be going that way. I will not need to go to the "verified" position unless I suddenly decide to start selling or buying stuff.

This is a relatively small website with a relatively small audience. It is too bad that you feel that everyone should be punished for the malfeasance of a few.

Just my opinion. If Fred suddenly decided to implement your requests, I for one would take my subscription elsewhere. I really like being here: the folks are, for the most part, good people. I would hate to have to go thru the QRZ version of the TSA just to read and post here.

WA7PRC and AB3TQ like this.
  3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

My 2 cents, please feel free to give change-
    While verification is a great thing, only a small minority of the scam transactions have been from hacked QRZ accounts. The vast majority are from scammers trolling the For Sale and Wanted ads, which are readily visible to anyone even if they aren't members/logged into the site, and contacting people via the email addresses that they have posted in their ads or when responding to an ad. Yes common sense dictates that such a contact should be taken as suspicious and the source thoroughly vetted before even considering proceeding with such a transaction, but still many people get taken in this way.
    If everyone stopped including their email or other contact info in their ads and posts tomorrow, and instead directed any interested parties to contact them either through a QRZ private message or the email on their QRZ page (which is only visible to logged-in members), I'd bet that most of the scamming would quickly evaporate.
    Perhaps this needs to be added to the classified guidelines as either a very strong suggestion or an enforced rule same as the requirements for pictures and ID cards.

KG5RPZ likes this.
  4. KG5RPZ

And that is part of the problem, no part of the classifieds BUY/SELL/TRADE should be visible to anyone who isn't vetted and or a member of the QRZ site. I agree totally, I also agree to some degree about the email addresses being posted, however at some point you have to have a means of communication between the two parties involved. Maybe there is an answer that QRZ can provide allowing QRZ to be the medium for both parties to exchange the required information for a transaction.

Doing nothing is what makes no sense.

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as both parties are QRZ members (which they have to be) and have included email addresses on their profile pages, they will be able to make contact. Plus there is the QRZ private messaging system so there is no necessity for including contact info in public posts.

KG5RPZ likes this.
  6. KG5RPZ

You are absolutely right, but how do you feel about closing off the BUY/SELL/TRADE so that it is not accessible to anyone who isnt vetted aka verified and have submitted some form of government ID and or an Official copy of their FCC license?

Is it a burden sure, but would it make the BUY/SELL/TRADE portion of QRZ safer, id be willing to bet scam and fraud would go down tremendously. I'm talking 1% or less of overall transactions. As a Buyer or Seller I would have zero issues with going through a vetting process to participate in the Classified section of this site.

N3AB likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If there are so many problems selling on QRZ, Seems maybe no sales should be allowed.

All problems solved.

Seems that most sellers here are two timers anyway.

Take the problems to ebay or elsewhere.

W7UUU, N3AB and WA7PRC like this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. All online classifieds have the same problems...
    As a buyer, you can't receive emails/PMs when an item you want is listed. You have to repeatedly manually search for an item.
    As a buyer, you can search for an item to see what someone is ASKING for it but, unless the buyer or seller reply with the info, you have no idea of the actual purchase price (if it sold). You don't know the going price.

As much as people like to write crap about eBay, it solves the above. Most of my experiences have been positive. My most recent acquisition was a Green Heron RT-21 rotator controller. Previously, I'd never seen one on the used market. It took about a year but, I finally got an email from eBay stating a RT-21 was listed. I jumped on it and won the auction... for a coupla hundred LESS than the new price:
    [​IMG]

9. KG5RPZ

As someone posted in the other Forum topic, most the time the issues are in the Wanted to Buy section, and because you can access this section of the forum and not even be a QRZ member is most of the issue. I think if we, we being QRZ itself, were to make some changes this medium for buying and selling would be generally speaking as safe as Ebay.

The Classified section in its entirety should only be seen by Verified vetted Members, folks who have provided a Government ID and or a copy of their Official FCC license. I personally would have no issues with this, and I think 90% of the other members who use the Classified sections would be willing to do that as well.

If the plan of action is to keep it the same and do nothing, yes I agree 100% they should close the Classified section of the forum down completely.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

MORE reason to not bother using the painfully difficult to use Classified section. I hope this happens, so when I click the New Posts button, I won't be bothered with seeing ads for stuff for which I have zero interest. So far, being a plain member already prevents seeing the Just Talking - Politics [Sewer]. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.