This May Sound Silly...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yep. A LOT of CB'ers hang out on 75 using their ham license. Or no license since it was revoked. 7200 as well.

Dave
    W7UUU

KM6CND likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder why that is?

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've wondered that for years, actually. I guess they can legally run linear amplifiers, and having a ham license somehow grants them "status"? But then they just suck down the booze all night yelling at each other in "all the well-known places" on 75 and 40. They mostly ALL have "that CB'er sound" - many with echo and roger beeps and all that - plus the tape-loopers.

No idea.

your thoughts as to why?

I just hope they keep to their well-known cesspits and don't start moving more broadly around the bands... that would be AWFUL

Dave
    W7UUU

WQ4G likes this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be due to propagation. Their fellow miscreants were relatively close in when conducting day to day operation on 11 meters. That's not to say they did not participate in illegal operation when the band opened exceeding the 150-mile limit (prior to the 2017 change).

W7UUU likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I really don't know the why to it, other than what others have already said. Maybe that's why CB is dead; all the good buddies went to hAm/HAM/ham radio?
    All I know is if I hear something I don't like, I use the big knob for its designed purpose and yes, if there are certain "channels" the miscreants want to hang out on then great; as long as they keep the poop in the cesspools. I do think that if some day the EB ever gets ramped up again, it will have made their jobs easier having all the poo in one pond.

What I don't enjoy is hearing all the rampant racism, bigotry and intolerance that passes for 75 meter conversation these days. Without getting all political, it had been getting worse for at least the last eight year term and I see an uptick in this since the last election. Is this what we are as a country now? Or is it just human nature letting its freak flag fly?

The preceding silliness was paid for and authorized by the letter F.

WQ4G and W7UUU like this.
  6. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not going to paint a certain type of people with a wide brush like that. Not every CBer is like that. Just like every Amateur on the air doesn't follow the rules and does not use bad language. There are bad CBers and there are bad Amateurs. Don't be like another person on here the uses a broad brush all the time against groups of people. You are better than he is Burt.
    Yes a lot of CBers do stupid stuff but not everyone of them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    WZ7U and KJ4VTH like this.
  7. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I respect the way you disagreed with me. No not every CBer is like that but many are, and few hams are flaunting the rules..
    It is rare a ham exceeds allowable power and it is rare a CBer uses only allowable power. We are stuck with amplifiers with no 10 meters solely because of CBers.
    I was licensed at a time when the FCC never got involved with accepting ham equipment for approval. The FCC trusted hams, once.

WB0MPB likes this.
  8. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

"My Handle is Sugar Loaf, what's yours?

9. KM6CND

k
    'name
    "Handel" has more letters than "Name" on CW

10. KM6CND

Yes, I am a product of the 1970's CB age. As an FCC licensed OP. I refuse to use ANY CB lingo as an ARO.

WQ4G likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.