This May Sound Silly...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The term "handle" can be traced back to at least the 1820s where it was commonly used by cowboys, cow punchers, ranch hands, etc., in the South and old Southwest. Amateur radio operators "stole" the term in the early 1900s.

In the early days of CB, there were 2-groups who started to emulate operations in other Radio Services. The first tried to sound like public safety adopting the 10-code, etc., and the second trying to sound like amateur radio operators. In fact, many of the second group started referring to themselves as "ham operators".

When I was licensed, in May 1959, most amateur radio operators were using the term and I adopted it as well. For over 60-years my name / handle have been the same, Glen and old habits are very hard to break. As such, I still use the term "handle". If someone makes a "snide" remark about the usage, I then immediately hold a history lesson.

Here is a scan of an advertisement that ran, for months, in CQ Magazine, during the later half of the 1940s:

handle-1.jpeg

Need I say more?!!

Glen, K9STH

AG5DB, W2AI and K3XR like this.
  2. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Only $12.95 for a CRT. I'll take a dozen! :D

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite clear the term "handle" used by ham radio operators was hijacked by the 11-meter crowd which caused it to become a tainted phrase for ham radio operation.

WQ4G, K5ABB and KP4SX like this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering - does a lid have a handle? o_O

WZ7U and N2EY like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

By definition, yes.

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

When I got into HAM, I dropped my handle. Now I simply say, "Personal here is Joe, 73's"

WQ4G, K1OIK and WB0MPB like this.
  7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Only my mother called me Johnny growing up. But when I was in trouble my first name was used followed by my middles name. I never liked hearing that!!:)

KM6CND and W7UUU like this.
  8. WB0MPB

So. What do you have against CBers? I use to be one so would you prefer to not talk to me?
    John, WB0MPB

KD4ZMV and WS4JM like this.
  9. WB0MPB

Well please tell the rest of us?

10. WB0MPB

That's the handle I use now.
    John, WB0MPB

W4ZD and W2AI like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.