This May Sound Silly...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim,
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    My understanding --going back to my first encounters with both ham radio and CB in the mid '60s-- is that hams used the term "handle" to mean "name" ... and CBers did the same.
    But when the CB "trucker" phenomenon exploded in the '70s they started using it to mean "nickname".
    Seems pretty much the same to me.

KM6CND likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In ham usage, "handle" meant "name" or "nickname". A means of identification. Your handle was Mel, my handle was Jim, etc. A big fella might get the handle "Tiny" and a brain surgeon might get the handle "Shakes", but usually it just meant "name". In ham radio, "handles" were used in connection with callsigns - KS2G/Mel, N2EY/Jim, etc.

But in cb usage, "handle" means "on-air persona used to avoid identification. On CB, "handles" were used instead of callsigns, to make tracking and identification more difficult for FCC and others.

Complete opposite usage. Which is why hams don't like the term.

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Since (the few) hams that use the term today (most, I think, just say "my name is") use it in conjunction with their call signs as they've always done --and not the way CBers do-- there's no reason for the OP --or anyone else-- to find it off-putting. ;)

W4IOA likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Handle" was commonly used long before CB or even ham radio existed. Sorry if it offends some; they need to read up on history.

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But why not just say "name"?

KM6CND and WZ7U like this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

If for no other reason, "name" is shorter than "handle", and faster to send. :)

K1OIK likes this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Why say hi hi? Why write 73 (or 73s/73's)?
    It's because hams are rather silly and are attached to using silly lingo no less than old timey cbers or some teenager trying to be "woke".

N5PAR, WZ7U and WB0MPB like this.
  8. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the term. That someone misuses it is nothing I can control or care about.

9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

As I posted, I think these days most ops do. ;)

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5KWO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.