This May Sound Silly...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can scarcely imagine. :D

K3XR likes this.
  2. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is amusing to read some of the post from the self appointed high and mighty here on the ZED. Arguing about the using “handle” to mean either your name or nickname or which group hams or CBers used it first. Spoiler alert cowboys used it way before there was amateur radio.

Is it spelled ham, Ham, hAm, HAM, or haM. Really no one even knows how the term came to mean amateur radio operator. Why care how it’s spelled?

Arguing over which is worse a drunk CBer or a drunk amateur talking crap on the air. Mocking the use of CB terms like 10-4 and good buddy but thinking that repeatedly saying roger that and QSL, and using obscure terms like first personal, destinated, we when you mean I, and operating conditions, etc. are perfectly acceptable.

Am I the only one who sees all the irony in this?

KG5ILR, W2AI, W4ZD and 3 others like this.
  3. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

Differences between a ham and a CB user: the ham has a license, the CB user has something to talk about besides what radio he's using (signal sounds real good, OM!) I've yet to go digging and see what similarities exist--do CBers write badly spelled screeds about how the yoof are ruining the hobby, or try to sell 15 year old equipment for 98% what it cost new?

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, you're not. But you put it the most eloquently, so people will listen to you. ;)

N5PAR and W2AI like this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep this handy so it can be posted when the topic gets hot and heavy.
    MY TAKE ON THE 11 METER (CB) / HAM RADIO ISSUE
    From a post on QRZ.com forum.
    The 11 meter issue is a separate one doubtful any opinions will change regardless here goes......Just finished reading new replies to this thread when listening to a conversation on 2 meters with one station telling the other station he was "giving him 2 pounds" now there's a ham phrase if ever there was one! Seems to me no one would know you were a previous 11 meter operator unless you made it known or unless you conducted your operating in a manner that would remove any doubt.

It is difficult for some to understand that references to 11 meters by way of phrases operating practices etc are offensive to those who take pride in a disciplined hobby where it's participants mostly comply with the rules and regulations. Yes, I know ham radio has its share of bad operators that does not mean we need more of them.

If you are a former operator of the 11 meter band and complied with all of the rules and regulations on that band there is every reason to expect you will do the same on the ham bands and you should be welcomed. For example, did you limit your communications to 151 miles (recently changed) ? Limit transmissions to 5 minutes with a 1 minute break? Only operated on assigned channels? Operated at the legal power limit? The old and recently changed rules and regs are widely available if you want to take the time to do the research.

WA9SVD, K1OIK and WQ4G like this.
  6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I resemble that, uh, I mean resent that remark...

Dan KI4AX

7. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

much ado about nothing.

8. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no irony...

You are a free citizen of the U.S. If you want to use CB lingo on the Ham Bands you have that right and privilege to do that. I and I would tell you go right ahead if that is what you WANT.

But, if you do, don't expect many people to reply to your calls. I know I won't. There are thousands of 'good buddies' on the 11 meter band to talk to. If I wanted to talk to one I would go to 11 meters and do just that. However, I want to talk with other Hams - not CBers - on the Ham Bands.

There is a lingo associated with almost every human activity. Lawyers, Doctors, Engineers, Laborers, Carpenters, Plumbers, Sailors, Pilots, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., they all have their own lingo and they are ALL DIFFERENT. Why is it so difficult for some to understand that CB lingo IS different than Ham lingo? Yes, they may have had the same beginnings way back when. But, that was probably 50 or more years ago now; the lingo has evolved and is now quite different.

Dan Ki4Ax

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That wasn't always true. I think the license requirement was done away with in the early 80's. I'd be willing to bet that there are some old licensed CB'ers here on the Zed...if they'll admit it.

10. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

i'll take an old cB'er trying to properly work a DX station ANY DAY over the "ham" operators sitting on the DX transmit freq. for hours just waiting to pounce on anyone who mistakenly doesnt use split.

[​IMG]

W2AI and W4ZD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.