ad: dxeng

This is why we can't have nice things...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Apr 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just about the time you get your STL all fixed up and ready to install, with a nice protective cover over the capacitor and everything, the birds come and build a nest dead-center on top of it.

upload_2018-4-25_11-35-16.png

I'm all for peaceful coexistence with nature, but these guys are putting a serious crimp in my style with their efforts to make more birds. :mad:

I have a really nice 80m/40m dipole antenna pulled up into the tree in the yard... why can't they go build a nest on that? :cool:

K9ASE and K1FBI like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"he's up on the roof with his boids. He keeps boids. Dirty... disgusting... filthy... lice-ridden boids. You used to be able to sit out on the stoop like a person. Not anymore! No, sir! Boids!... You get my drift?"

WA7PRC, W7UUU, K9ASE and 1 other person like this.
  3. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a Robin's nest. They are rats with wings! I had a similar problem and after taking them out with my air rifle or knocking down the nest, they came right back. Finally had to put a peaked roof over my bay window so they slid off. Put something with a peak over it and enclose it so they can't get inside.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on that loops power rating, you could have cooked eggs by breakfast time.
    :p

W4POT and KK5JY like this.
  5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

My antenna nests are always in the tower base just under the thrust bearing.
    There is a nest in that square cubbie hole most every year.
    My Tower Base5.JPG

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:D

7. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

My parents have tried everything to convince robins not to nest on their porchlight. In the end, they found these work very well:

robin.JPG

W7UUU, K1FBI, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At least you don't have bears pulling down your ladder line and antennas like I have. I'll switch for the birds!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

K9ASE and KK5JY like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This time of year, all bets are off. I have some shelves in the carport for storing lawncare stuff and things like that. I walk over to get the garden sprayer and out flies mama bird. Startled the crap out of me (almost literally) and I fell right on my butt. The XYL laughed and laughed. When I recovered, I checked the shelf and sure enough, she'd built a nest between sprayer and wall. Couldn't use the sprayer for weeks, not til the younglings were hatched, trained, and had flown away. :)

KK5JY likes this.
  10. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a fake owl to try and keep the sparrows out of my eaves.
    The birds just landed on it and laughed :oops:

KK5JY likes this.