This Experimenter's Psychology

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W1GCI, Jun 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Spoken like a real engineer.

Sales guy: It's ready, taking orders now

Project manager: does it work a little yet? Can I ship it tomorrow?

QA department: we need 8 more weeks to test it!

2. AJ4SN

AJ4SN Ham Member QRZ Page

For me, getting on the air is just a way of test driving the project. The building of equipment is more important than operating for me, but I respect those ops who are into other facets of the hobby.

N5HXR likes this.
  3. EI7KS

EI7KS Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Like love, ham radio is a many splendored thing (apologies to Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster). One is the design, building, and trouble-shooting of the radios.

When first licensed, I was blessed with lacking the funds to buy commercial gear. So I had to cannibalize old radios and WWII surplus to build (and debug) my own 100 watt CW/plate modulated 80 through 10 meter transmitter, and 3 to 30 MHz receiver.

The ARRL Handbook was my electronics education, which led to an FCC 1/C Commercial 'phone ticket (with Radar Endorsement), and enabled a lifetime career in electronics.

The sophistication of my IC-7300 is beyond what my leisure time could allow, but I still enjoyed designing and building my HF power amp, and various antennas.

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

5. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I know what you mean... I found the service manual for my FT-891, and have gone through the schematic several times. Thousands of parts... wow! The complexity in the commercial rigs is awesome and terrible.

I think it actually works against getting people into the homebrew part of the hobby -- I've talked to some who are intimidated by the complexity they feel they would need to make a radio. There isn't enough messaging out there explaining that 90% of what the commercial transceivers do isn't really necessary, and you can do just fine with much simpler things!

If nothing else, you can make a radio that does something the commercial manufacturers aren't willing to. I don't know how much I have to pay I-Com to make a radio for me that can transmit Hellschreiber on its own... but for $30 in parts, I can make one, and since it's probably the only one, it's in a class of its own :).

W9JEF likes this.
  6. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I no longer tell my radio contact that "rig here is all home-brew". I seldom get any comments about this. Most hams are not impressed by "all home-brew" simply because they have never done it or considered it. Without any appreciation of the time and effort involved in home-brew equipment, the term carries no more interest than reporting on the current weather.

7. KD2BD

KD2BD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad, but true. That's been my experience as well.

I've been running a homebrew solid-state QSK CW transmitter for the past 3 years in conjunction with an old Drake R4C receiver making hundreds of solid QSOs. I've got a DDS VFO, sequential timing logic to support QSK operation, shaped RF envelope having 5 ms rise and fall times, keying at the zero crossing point of the RF carrier (Integral cycle keying), and a pair of IRF-520 MOSFETs in the final that are currently producing 100 watts of RF on 80 meters with a high degree of efficiency. (The cabinet of the Drake R4C runs much hotter than the heatsink on my finals!)

This is a pretty respectable accomplishment. However, most of the comments I receive center around the Drake R4C, mostly from old timers who had Drake gear in the past, and now feel remorse for having sold it. :confused:

73 de John, KD2BD

8. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience is that if it's simple then people are more interested. Especially if super-crude.

If you can tell people that it's like a 3 transistor CW transmitter then that gets their attention and interest more.

Especially if it's built in an untidy/sloppy/quick way, eg these: https://vk3ye.com/projects/projchirpy.htm

9. WA9D

WA9D Ham Member QRZ Page

Like so many others, I am glad to see, I enjoy the building/fixing/testing/designing activities at least as much as operating. But that is not just for ham radio. Decades ago I had a license from the Midwest Council of Sports Car Clubs entitling me to race on a couple of tracks. But assembling engines, tinkering. adjusting suspension, etc. were at least as much fun for me as actually driving on the track. (I enjoyed that too!) So it is some more basic part of my psyche than just ham radio!

(I moved away to a place where the only race tracks were ovals, not my thing, so from then on my car-related activities other than just normal driving have been mostly repairing. And if you love oval tracks, good for you, I don't pretend others need share my tastes!)

10. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not much fun turning left only.

Ted, KX4OM