This day in History. 11/21/1970.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Nov 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

what was their purpose...

Because Federal regulations required you to do so.

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Like lots of things in ham radio. Because that's how it used to be.
    I log it out of respect for the way things used to be plus out of respect for the station on the other end. My memory isn't what it used to be so there's that. Lets not get into the incorrectly copied info.... :rolleyes:

WA1GXC likes this.
  3. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

It was the way things were done back when the federal government knew its proper role was that of a referee rather than its later assumed role of an ever expanding sugar daddy.

K0MB and AD5HR like this.
  4. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ouch! Politics! ---- Unsportsmanlike conduct--facemask--on the line of scrimmage. 15-yard penalty, first down.

As previous , interference from hams to TV and AM / FM broadcasting was a real issue and not way, way back in the olden days.
    Even through the 1980's, before much of urban US was cable-enabled, hams were in fact creators of BCI/TVI even when their transmitters
    were clean. The FCC and ARRL's philosophical approach was, It's not your fault, but be good neighbors for everyone's benefit.
    Transmitters from the 50's and 60's were in fact TVI machines and television and BC sets were not designed in a very sophisticated way--
    tuner modules that were shielded boxes but connected by bundles of wires to who-knows-what.
    Additionally, FCC Field Engineering didn't have as sophisticated surveillance equipment as state-of-the-art today which can identify signals
    merely by their RF signatures with individual electronic artifacts for operator misconduct/technical infringement monitoring.
    So I tend to think, as the gentleman above previously noted, that consumer interference issues were the underlying force behind keeping
    seemingly over-stringent log requirements. The records often worked to our protection.

The Feds had real radio operators with real radios, listening with real headphones for transgressions. In my first 3 years on the air, (late 60's)
    I received an airmail from the FCC monitoring station in Anchorage with an "Advisory Notice" (no reply required) fro CW with chirp.
    2 years later, "Official Notice of Violation"-- I was 150 cycles (Hz) low outside the 40m band limit of 7000kc, which meant I violated the
    terms of an international treaty to which the USA was signatory. Written response required within 10 days to the issuing facility, FCC station in Grand
    Island, Nebraska.
    Failure to respond in a timely manner was grounds for revocation of station/operator license. Common follow-on issue was guys not updating
    current address, also grounds for Notice of Violation and revocation. Still true.

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Record keeping. Without a log a QSL did not exist. Freedom from logging is what killed QSL cards ultimately.

If any of your neighbors suffered an RFI problem all you had to do was tell them to record the time and date of the problem and then cross reference with your activity. If your were not on the air it was not your problem.

I was able to pin point RFI problems with neighbors generated by my station. In all cases (two) it was a cheap portable radio in some ones work shop. It gave them both a reason to upgrade their work shop music system!

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That very thing happened to me when I was about 15. We had a neighbor across the street, who knew I was a ham, and she complained that every day at 2:00 PM her TV got strong interference and she could hear voices and just KNEW it was me and my radios.

SUPER easy to prove it wasn't me:

1. I went with my Mom to her house and showed her my log - I was not on the air ANY day that week at 2:00 PM
    2. I showed her I was ONLY operating A1 emissions (CW) so she could not have heard "voices"
    3. I was in SCHOOL every day at 2:00 PM :)

Case closed

Dave
    W7UUU

N0NB, WD4ELG and WD0BCT like this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition I had an acquaintance with a van mounted spectrum analyzer verify my station was legal when I originally set up my Ten Tec Triton IV 100W transceiver operating with a roof mounted vertical. I was clean on all bands I was operating on. Regardless....I always worked with someone claiming my station was a problem.

8. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll pile on too! Heeeere we go. The rules about logging used to be a bit more strict. At one point, TECHNICALLY, whenever you keyed your transmitter, you needed to make a log entry. I believe the rules are a bit more relaxed now...

There are still plenty good reasons to keep a log. Say you have a TVI complaint. (Does that even exist anymore?) You can point to your ACCURATELY KEPT log and say, "Nossir, I wasn't transmitting then." It's also a way for you to look back many years later and wonder if those guys are still around. You can keep track of states and countries worked, obviously. You can remember an especially pleasant QSO. Keep track of QSLs sent and received.

Aaaaaand, you can see that you talked to somebody 50 years ago on 40 CW and last week on QRZ! (See earlier in this thread.)

Computer logging in contests is a MUST. But paper logs for casual operating actually have a better chance of being opened and looked at 50 years later. That is, if you are even a TINY bit sentimental...

AD5HR and KP4SX like this.
  9. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, definitely. We just ASSUMED if we screwed up or did something illegal, the FCC would be tuned in and taking notes, chuckling as they flipped on their tape recorder.

The local CB folk (or people who migrated from CB to the ham raydiddio thing) can tell you about when the FCC would ride around in vans and issue citations for crimes against humanity like "hobby talk" and working a station over 150 miles away - both strictly forbidden waaaay back when CB enforcement was a thing. I knew a guy who was a ham who still used CB -- They sent him a CB citation for "hobby talk," including a hilarious transcription with every "um," "uh," and "you know" included. Kicker is they also cited him for being a ham transmitting on a non-ham frequency!

10. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to break the news.......Those guys are not around anymore: Type I diabetes+Jolt Cola+KitKat bars.

If a more recent Amateur operates on phone/PSK only, when they croak are they a SK?

Always wanted to ask, but thought it might be in bad taste. That's why I'm asking here.

-Later.

73'ssssss

K5ABB likes this.