This day in History. 11/21/1970.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Nov 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL Logbook?

Luxury....

In MY Novice days (1967) I used home made paper log sheets. On USED paper (back side wasn't used).

Still have them all, right back to the day the license arrived.

It was the STYLE! And we LIKED it!

As for computer logging - I always print out the Cabrillo file (on used paper), punch holes and put in a 3 ring binder. That way there's a record no matter what.

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. N7NIT

N7NIT Ham Member QRZ Page

On 11/21/1970 I was 282 days old...

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Encouraged? We were required. I hated logging a CQ I didn't get a call out of...but I was paranoid about the RADIO INSPECTOR.

I just knew he'd be after me the day Novice me accidentally ran my HW-16 at 90 watts input instead of 75. :eek:

KD7MW, WA9SVD and WD4ELG like this.
  4. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Grief! That's 0.79 dB over the legal limit! That's over 1/8 of an S unit! Smoke must have poured out of the meters at the FCC monitoring facility.
    :D:D:D

WA9SVD, W4NNF and KP4SX like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We ran scared back then - haha. My ARC-5 had the VFO (OMG!). Very well calibrated dial too so I stayed on 5 or so certain frequencies in case the FCC was monitoring ME!

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

and just what was the purpose of logging?

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Early form of doxxing perhaps? :p

8. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno, but we were required to log every transmission, even unanswered CQ's. Like the others I was deathly afraid of committing an infraction and getting sent to prison by the FCC.

We all ran scared back then. Also most of us were teenagers and I for one would have never said any of the stuff to an adult of the sort we see commonly nowadays.

I still respected authority at that point in my life.

WD4ELG and WA1GXC like this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

My understanding is that one facet of logging was so if someone claimed interference to a tv/radio/telephone at a particular time and you weren't on the air at that time you had deniability. Useful for other interference complaints, I imagine, as well.

I've never had to keep a log by law but have kept one from day 1 to help me remember who/when as well as holding to tradition.

N2EY and WA1GXC like this.
  10. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Because Federal regulations required you to do so.

Every test transmission, every CQ, every response to a CQ which went unanswered.
    On-the-air identification required including your callsign and the callsign of the other station engaged in the communication.
    Identification in the English language with "...the words THIS IS or FROM or DE sent in code".
    License renewal after 5 years required 1 hour of cumulative Amateur operation in the past 2 years. (logged, of course, or it didn't exist)

Amateurs back then, even slow-witted ones, knew the rules backwards and forwards and complied. Then, as now, if the rules are too annoying you can always surrender your license grant.

Want to win a Dunkin' Donuts coffee bet? Ask the next Big Signal you hear on the air what the current Federal identification requirements are for SSB and CW Amateur contacts.
    Anybody know?
    Guess not.

Happy trails.

Q-R-ZED THE FREQUENCY, STATION WITH A ZANZIBAR COME AGAIN

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    W3SY likes this.