This day in History. 11/21/1970.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Nov 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta run, but will return. Thanks for the nice comments and for sharing nice memories, guys.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Man, ain't it a small world!

3. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine business, OM.

Old ARRL Logbook format.. ..Instructions on the inside cover, directing you to legend that explained your station "is represented by X."

Navy TCS-12 Input 30W. Many notes in comment column: "Lost him"
    Paper logs to this day, logbook NRs. 1-17 still in existence and available to pick up in my hand including UA1KAE/8 operator Valery
    at the South Magnetic Pole Vostok Station.

Computerized log records certainly have advantages, but it's the difference between holding and touching a photograph of someone or some place that's
    important in your life, or seeing it on an electronic screen . Many cultures believe taking a photograph is taking a part of the subject's soul.

Neil Young said that listening to digitally-archived music is experiencing ice cubes pouring out of a speaker.

KC1NY likes this.
  4. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats. I was 13 years behind you but then I was 7 50 years ago and didn't have much idea about radio except that it sat on a shelf.

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. For exactly your reason.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I prefer DIGITAL myself - although it's still fun to "log on paper and then enter into computer"

I just lost all my old Novice/General logs in a fire. NONE were on disc. Just paper.

At least if on computer you can make backups but you have to remember to do it. ALL my electronic logs upload to Google Drive "on the cloud". Have for YEARS.

But all my paper logs? Lost in the fire. Maybe one or two survived but the vast majority are lost to history and never got transcribed to digital

Dave
    W7UUU

7. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome, I was first licensed in 1971, I was 13, WN0ETE... Don't recall working the novice roundup though...

8. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I use a paper logbook. Nowadays my log entries are interspersed with notes and schematics and measurement results and other scribblings in the W9BRD lab notebook -- light-green quadrille paper, sequentially numbered pages, the works.

Best regards,

Dave
    amateur radio W9BRD
    first licensed as WN9CJS, Norridge, IL (a Chicago suburb), in August 1969

9. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I truly miss the novice class.... 5wpm CW hehehe, crystals, and 75 watts, peak and dip, learning to be radio operators as we went. I think it's passing has been a loss to amateur radio. Miraculously, I still have my old novice 2NT transmitter and HQ 110 receiver, I need to get them on the bench for a go-over and get 'em on the air for a novice rig roundup... I've been meaning to for a long time.

Those were some of the best days of my life, I miss them.

WD0BCT, K0MB, KC1NY and 2 others like this.
  10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the Novice days. I think I might still have my Novice logbook. I have all of my dad's from 1949 to 1983, when he became a silent key, and I think mine are in that pile somewhere. Unfortunately, along with too many cool things from my early radio days, all of this was stored in a corner of the garage. They survived a big house fire, but soon became the favorite nesting material for a bunch of roof rats. So, today, I have them, but they have an obnoxious odor to them. I really lament the loss of the cool 'spy radio' that was stored in the same corner, along with several ARC5 radios. I also have dad's QSL card collection, except for his DXCC card collection that he kept separately.

I'd really like to see us bring back the Novice class, focused on HF. A period of time using non-voice communications would be good for newbies.

K8PG and KP4SX like this.