This day in History. 11/21/1970.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Nov 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Fifty years ago today, I made my first QSOs as WN3PQM, Johnny Novice. Here’s the log. Notice back then we were encouraged to log all transmissions, even “NO CONTACT.” Looks like I stopped doing that when I got a decent antenna.

Anybody still use paper logbooks? I’m glad I did. This all would be long gone if it were on a computer disk of some kind.

Yeeeeaaahhh, sometimes the OLD way is the best way. Now get off my lawn, confounded whippersnappers.

upload_2020-11-21_18-36-34.jpeg

WD4ELG, K0DOM, W2VW and 8 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the milestone!! I'll get my "50 year" anniversary March 17, 2025...

Dave
    W7UUU

W3SY likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I in there? My 1st was also in November '70. My old logs have since gone the other way as I recently found out after thinking they were in safe storage.

4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s right around the corner, young feller.

I’d celebrate on the air, but my antenna system suffered a slight mishap (long story) and my key is silent. But I’m not a silent key. Um... You know what I’m saying.

5. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Lemme look...

6. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first contact was in 1970, Summer as well... I have long ago lost my Novice logs... Wish I still had them...

7. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

YES!! Worked you in the 1971 Novice Roundup!

See top of page. upload_2020-11-21_18-52-26.jpeg

WD4ELG, K0DOM and KD2ACO like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I'm in there, too?

My first QSO was in April 1965, on 40m CW.

Still work CW every day if possible.

I was there five years before you, but still used CW and did frequent the "Novice bands" even then, for fun.

Something us oldies got to experience which the youngies won't: I worked a lot of CW ops who were WW2 CW ops in the Navy and Army. They all used bugs and most were really good at it. Almost all of them are "SK" now, but it was a great experience not just learning their style but hearing about their WW2 experiences...many were code ops on ships in the Pacific and stuff, and those stories will eventually fade to dust in the wind.

I remember older ops (when I was a kid Novice), "Antenna is xyz doublet, voltage fed" and didn't even know what that meant, so I'd ask them: WAT IS VOLTAGE FED OM? and they'd tell me.

Can't beat such experience.

W3SY likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WOW!! How totally cool is that!!! WN4SXX

One of the coolest things I've ever seen posted here in the Zed :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W3SY likes this.
  10. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like yesterday, not almost FIFTY YEARS AGO!!!???

W7UUU likes this.