This could change Disaster Ham Radio ...

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by PD0JBV, May 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw this on a IT tech site. To me this is a big wow. Maybe not the end of Ham Radio, but so many people have a smartphone and therefore i think this could change the way how we communicate after/during a disaster.

Go check: http://www.project-owl.com/ ... and share your thoughts.

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Does not scale, especially in high winds.

3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I admire their humor and creativity.

http://www.project-owl.com/clusterduck

A network cluster made of small floating Wi-Fi repeaters they call "ducks". So, a "clusterduck". I think that there was a lost opportunity with the "mama duck" concept. They have a "mother" duck internet repeater upon which "child" duck repeaters depend for internet connection. So, call it a "mother duck IR". :D

I don't see this as some means by which Amateur radio could be replaced. There will be a need for people trained in operating and maintaining this network. There will likely be a need to have radio links that Part 15 will not be powerful enough to reach. This is a possible toolbox that licensed Amateurs could pull from to provide communications after a disaster strikes.

AF9US likes this.
  4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, what doesn't scale is a net on a repeater, where only one person can talk at a time, and only trained, licensed operators can participate. Protocol must be observed to prevent doubles, and one stuck microphone ruins it for everyone.

Packet switched IP networks scale very well, allowing an enormous number of conversations to take place without interference. It's how we all communicate on this board, sharing the wires and fiber optic links with all kinds of other traffic that doesn't bother us.

Both technologies have their uses, of course. Ham radio has low infrastructure requirements, and can be easily, quickly, and cheaply deployed to an area where everything has been destroyed. The "party line" effect lets all stations be aware of what's going on throughout the net. But as more people enter an area, with a need to have lots of simultaneous point to point conversations while avoiding mutual interference, a packet switched network like the cell system or Internet starts to have huge advantages.

AC0GT likes this.
  5. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

From recent experience with MANAGEMENT involved in disaster communications I say "NO THANKS".
    All one has to read the "preamble" to realize the main purpose of such concept would be in line with many "internet services".

1. Mane money for the provider
    2. Provide accurate statistic of inaccurate collection of data to impress stakeholders to fork over more money.

Just recall this gem - from long time movie

"Rabbi , is there a proper blessing for the czar ?...
    ...may God bless the czar .... and keep him away from us...

Cell phone are here to stay and should be up to the PAYING user how they are used - in casual communication or in life threatening emergencies.

Don't care what is it called - duck or goose - the economy of distributing cell calls into micro cells , by offloading the traffic from "big cell" , will eventually result in each cell phone call being routed even "further down" the tree.

Cellphone to cellphone communication path - no other "hardware " involved.

Perhaps it already exists?
    Perhaps OT?

73 Shirley

6. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks to be more after disaster oriented to me.
    After the emergency status is over and more of a survival sustaining (?) situation.

PD0JBV likes this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@AC0GT... I see that you latched onto the obvious humor aspect of the whole thing. What do you think: did they do that on purpose? Or did they just screw up?

FWIW, I did not scroll thru the entire site, just enough to verify some of the terminology.

8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure they used that humorous naming on purpose.

9. KC2TCM

KC2TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

While kinda neat, it's still very local. If you need to contact someone far away, without an infrastructure, HF is it.