ad: ProAudio-1

Thirty Minutes of Dazzle: the Sun in 4K UHD Video (NASA/SDO)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sit back and enjoy this half-hour 4k video of our star, the Sun, in ultra-high definition 4k resolution in which NASA SDO gives us a stunning look at our nearest star.

This movie provides a 30-minute window to the Sun as seen by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), which measures the irradiance of the Sun that produces the ionosphere. SDO also measures the sources of that radiation and how they evolve.

SDO's Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) captures a shot of the sun every 12 seconds in 10 different wavelengths. The images shown here are based on a wavelength of 171 angstroms, which is in the extreme ultraviolet range and shows solar material at around 600,000 Kelvin (about 1 million degrees F.) In this wavelength it is easy to see the sun's 25-day rotation.

The distance between the SDO spacecraft and the sun varies over time. The image is, however, remarkably consistent and stable despite the fact that SDO orbits Earth at 6,876 mph and the Earth orbits the sun at 67,062 miles per hour.

Scientists study these images to better understand the complex electromagnetic system causing the constant movement on the sun, which can ultimately have an effect closer to Earth, too: Flares and another type of solar explosion called coronal mass ejections can sometimes disrupt technology in space. Moreover, studying our closest star is one way of learning about other stars in the galaxy. NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. built, operates, and manages the SDO spacecraft for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington, D.C.

Charged particles are created in our atmosphere by the intense X-rays produced by a solar flare. The solar wind, a continuous stream of plasma (charged particles), leaves the Sun and fills the solar system with charged particles and magnetic field. There are times when the Sun also releases billions of tons of plasma in what are called coronal mass ejections. When these enormous clouds of material or bright flashes of X-rays hit the Earth they change the upper atmosphere. It is changes like these that make space weather interesting.

Current space weather information can be explored at http://SunSpaceWeather.com

KM4JYR likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We...want...SUNSPOTS!

3. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool. NOW I see a reason for 4k ultra HD.

Couldn't justify it for American Idoliot.... :)

Thanks for sharing. Now, when will the propagation gods be smiling down again?

--Shane
    KD6VXI

4. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

DO YOU KNOW WHEN A DX EXPEDITION TEAM WILL HEAD THERE TO THE SUN ?:D:D:D
    I AM ALSO LOOKING TO WORK MARS ASAP DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT ?:eek:
    YAWN YAWN !!!! BY THE TIME WE DONE WATCHING THIS VIDEO WE ALL WILL FALL ASLEEP. YAWNNN !

5. AC5WT

AC5WT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting. I watched it till the end. I wish we could look inside and see the inner core spinning. I believe the inner core is floating with equal gravity in all directions. I think the core would not be round but look more like two spinning bowls put together. I think the inner core spins much faster that the outer surface. I would like to know where the nuclear compression takes place above the floating inner core. I think the poles flip every 11 years. To do that the core would have to change shape because of the spin and maybe density of the core material and maybe begin to look like two high speed spinning saucers instead of two bowls over a period of time. During that time of warping I think the the magnetic fields would push out of the normal axial core poles and change to the equator. Then somewhere on the equator N would gradually form and when it grows to sufficient strength dictated by the amount of the core wrapping it would be pulled down to the weakening axial S pole essentially flipping the poles (on a 11 year cycle) Then I think the core would move back into the two bowl shape until time for another cycle flip. I think for the core to change shape it would have to speed up till maximum spin is created and the poles would then flip. After the flip then the inner core may slow down for many years changing the shape from the two saucers back to the two slower spinning bowls and establishing the normal N and S poles (now reversed). The core is never asymmetrical. It is always changing shape over time and then returning to its original shape to complete each cycle. I think with the speed and centrifugal force at maximum velocity the core would sling core material out from the inner core and divide the Sun into two halves as we see the results creating sunspots on either side of the equator. The faster the core spin the closer the sunspots will move to the equator creating the butterfly pattern.
    (AC5WT) William Andress.