Thinking to spring for an FTDX3000, but a guy is selling his FT1000MP

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Jun 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2SDS

K2SDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sherwood ratings would indicate the 5000 is the better receiver.
    Whatever the OP decides to do, today's radios are all excellent and will do the job.
    Certainly you are entitled to your opinion. Have a great day!!

2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would never buy a radio that old - availablity of parts for one reason.

"it does not have an extrenal ( sic )fan and is prone to overheating. "

I am not sure where this guy is operating - maybe a boiler room - but I run 80W FT8 for hour after hour with no heating issues on my 3000. For the low price you can get them for now they are a STEAL. I paid $1000 more than current price and would do it again.

As far as the menus and controls, if you are reasonably intelligent and use the radio fairly often they are not an issue. In fact other than a few controls, once they are set, there is not much messing around you have to do anyway. And HRD has a fantastic rig control interface that even programs the CW memory pad.

3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of interesting stuff here.

Does the 3000 really have the same RX as the 5000?

Lastly, I know Yaesu has the separate tuning units you can add for 40/80 for better selectivity. Would that help with my noise problem?

4. KE0EYJ

My dream is a 5000MP, but I be a po' boy.

Are those blue OLED lights going out on the fixed ones, as well? Are they all doomed, even after repair?

5. K2SDS

Correction on the 1200 it is up conversion. No the 5000 receiver is not the same as that in the 3000. The micro tuner devices you speak of are very expensive and are only useful in certain conditions. Try a mag loop receive only antenna for 80-40 meters. They work good in small noisy locations.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  6. KE0EYJ

Have experimented with a mag loop for RX on 40m. It did work pretty well. I need to get off of my behind and build something more permanent for that.

7. K2SDS

I understand that the OLEDs were a problem on the pre 2015 models only.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  8. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts would be stay clear of the MP. Mark V, OK, MP....NO. They had many final problems overheating with the radio. I have had the 1000D, MP and Mark V. Stay clear. RAC

KE0EYJ and K4AGO like this.
  9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Buy the new FTDX 3000. $1400.00 is not a bad price. With new you get a warranty. With used, you get someone elses troubles that you have to shell out cash to fix.

John
    K4AGO

10. K2SDS

950.00 for the DX1200. Great entry level rig. Buy a good tuner with the savings. Put up a wire and have fun.