ad: AlphaRF-1

Thinking to spring for an FTDX3000, but a guy is selling his FT1000MP

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Jun 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 590SG has been on my radar, but its middling DSP compared to Yaesu, and reports of weak average power are the exact same things I dislike about my 7300.

I had the cheap FT891 in my shack, and although it was somewhat crap compared to the 7300, in many ways, it so thoroughly defeated the 7300 in DSP ability, I really am leaning Yaesu, at this point.

I am at a high-noise QTH in downtown Seoul.

A used K3 would also grab my attention. Not for the DSP, but for its magical front end (I had a KX2 that could grab signals thru the noise better than my 7300, also).

My 7300 is great, but only when the noise levels are low.

In bad local noise condx on 40m, the 7300 might be too noisy to copy an SSB DX signal, while FT891 also could not pick it out, UNTIL the 891's DSP engaged. Then, it was just copyable.

The KX2 could just copy it with no DSP at all.

The signal was plenty strong for all RX'ers, but it was the way they handled the noise that made the difference.

A 590SG might handle noise well, but I have no way of knowing. Zero experience with one.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  3. N4GKS

Not sure what that means concerning weak average power.

4. KE0EYJ

I just came across a video. Seems this was a problem with the S model.

5. N4GKS

S had several problems. SG gets 4.9 out of 5 on Eham.net. I had a 1000MP back in the day. Nice radio, but for the same price you get a modern radio that is still in production. Plus you can hook an SDR Play and get a better band scope than the 7300.

6. KE0EYJ

I've been through the whole "just hook up an SDR" thing with a Yaesu FT950. Spent a chunk of money and the thing never did work. I'm wary of anything that's not built into the radio.

7. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

The 590S had an overactive ALC circuit that would oversuppress SSB peaks leading to lower average power output and possibly distorted audio. Kenwood recalled them and fixed the circuit for free up until some time after the SG came out. Now it's a $140 fix at Kenwood (plus shipping).

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a 1000MP, the display was very hard to see and read. GO for the newer rig! the 1000MP is an OLD RADIO these days!

9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I remember the original release was the regular 1000MP, the 1000MP Field, and a third one....perhaps without an antenna tuner? I don't recall what the third flavor was, but it didn't last long. Any ideas? Or am I just plain wrong about that?

10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that was the FT-1000MP Mark V Gold Limited-Plus Special Anniversary Signature Edition :p

KE0EYJ and K2SDS like this.