Thinking to spring for an FTDX3000, but a guy is selling his FT1000MP

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Jun 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Aww crap. He's got someone else coming to buy it. Turns out it's a guy I know. Wish he had put his callsign in the ad, then I would have known it was him and called him late last night.

Oh well. Solves that issue.

He also has an FT991, and said he prefers the 991, so he's selling the 1000MP. Since I was looking at the FTDX3000, which is the bigger brother of the 991, maybe it was a good idea to not buy it.

2. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 3000 is the big brother to the 1200. 991A is an HF VHF radio and has lousy noise reduction.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd agree the FT-991 is not in the same class as an FT-1000MP, if you want just an "HF" rig.

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Right, but he prefers the 991, and the 1000MP sat unused.

I know he tends to operate, and his antenna is a zepp. He doesn't DX a lot. He probably never really stretched the legs on the 1000MP. Too bad. I've actually seen this radio in person, about 2 years ago.

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not. The FT-991A has one of the best noise reduction ever. Are you kidding? Better than the IC-7300 and better than Kenwood TS-590SG without the waterfall sounding effect. I will guess you never owned a FT-991A.

6. WB2WIK

It was a breakthrough rig, kudos to Yaesu.

Has IF-DSP and separate IF filters. Innovative at the time. I loved the tuning control (manual) which had a great feel to it.

I sold that about ten years ago, but probably should not have. It's a classic.

7. WB2WIK

Noise reduction systems vary a lot but for those of us who really don't need them (I have no locally generated noise I can detect, and my typical 20m noise level is S1...maybe S2 on 40 and it appears to all be atmospheric and not local) it doesn't matter.

Best noise reduction system for locally generated noise is an external noise canceller that nulls it by phasing, using a separate sense antenna. The ANC-4 works well for this but of course requires frequent adjustment, just more knobs to turn.:p

8. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In fact I did own one and the unit I owned did suffer from the waterfall problem on anything over setting 1. That why I sold it.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...ransceiver-hf-6m-2m-70cm.606866/#post-4626004

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  9. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely no water fall distortion on my FT-991A. It is ultra clear and slowly reduces the high frequencies as the DNR is advanced. I operate at 3 or 4 setting and it makes unintelligible signals lost in band noise armchair copy. You must have had a defective unit.

10. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think you will be unhappy with the FTdx3000. Been absolutely loving mine for two and a half years. The receiver is outstanding. If you do alot of CW contesting the optional 300Hz roofing filter is a real treat when the band is wall to wall. The transmit audio is also very nice, and I get a lot of unsolicited kudos with a Pro7 headset, after i did a little tweaking. Good luck on whatever you decide on.