Thinking to spring for an FTDX3000, but a guy is selling his FT1000MP

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Jun 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am thinking to streeeeetch my budget to get the FTDX3000, but to do so I will have to buy it stateside, then ship it back via the airline (to save money) with me in a few months.

Meanwhile, there is a guy locally near my QTH selling a Yaesu FT-1000MP that looks to be in very good shape (he claims it is excellent).

It looks like a really nice radio, and it's going for about 800 bucks. The FTDX3000 will be closer to $1,400.

I have never operated either, but I love the DSP on the FTDX3000 (a friend has one).

I am not yet sure what filters are in the MP. Pretend it's full of filters... then what would your thoughts be? I will add that I am at a very high noise city QTH with lights and electronics all around. I have an Icom 7300, but it's not blocking the high noise well, and that is really hurting me on the low bands, especially.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd rather have the new radio. Sounds like you already favor the FTDX3000 anyway.

VE1DDD likes this.
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both rigs side-by-side in my shack. $800 is a great price on the 1000MP even without extra filters. However, you'll want the extra filtering. I love the 1000MP. The 3000 is a serviceable rig, but it does not have an extrenal fan and is prone to overheating. The fan is internal like a computer. It would be far better if the screen were a touch-screen; the arrow keys are clunky to use, and you have to cycle through waterfall screens to access some of the controls that are used somewhat often. Still, it's a good rig.

Realize that the 1000MP is 20 year old technology; if you like buttons, knobs and can live without an on board waterfall, I'd go with the 1000MP. If you'd rather have Yaesu's first hybrid SDR that has the look and feel of a computer, go for the 3000. Personally, if I could do it again I would not have bought the 3000, but you'll have to pry the 1000MP out of my cold, dead hands.

4. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately I have to agree. As a former 3000 owner I have to say that it did not last long in my shack. It was extremely difficult to use from the front panel and it seemed like a harrowing trek down a network of winding, rocky trails at midnight to find things in the menu system.

I am a huge fan of buttons and knobs. I think all frequently (and even some infrequently) used functions ought to have a dedicated button/knob. :)

W9WQA and N2SUB like this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never used the 1000. I have had a FTDX3000 for three years and love it. The 3000 has 2 VFOs but only 1 receiver. If the 1000 has two receivers then it might be an idea.

6. K2SDS

K2SDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You should take a look at the FTDX1200. I tested the 1200 and the 3000 side by side extensively and my ears asked me why I spent the money on the 3000. I had nothing. Crickets.

7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FTdx3000

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've owned the 1000MP (back 19 years ago) but never owned the 3000 and haven't played with one much, other than just tuning around at HRO (not much of a test).

The 1000MP is a really seriously good rig. Remember this came in several versions, with the original MP being either AC or DC powered, and 100W PEP output. There was also a "DC only" version more suitable for mobile/portable use; then came the MKV and the MKV Field. The MKV used high voltage FETs and could run 200W PEP output power (the Field didn't); so be sure sure exactly which model it is.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Never tried an FTDX3000, so I can’t give you a comparison.

But I’ve used an FT-1000MP in the past, back in the day. Not at all a bad rig by today’s standards, and pretty well thought of back in the day.

IF it’s in good shape, IF it has some decent CW filters, and IF there are no hidden gotchas... that’s not a bad price. You might be able to do better, then again, you might not, considering where you are right now.

I’d suggest visiting this person, trying the rig out for a couple of hours, and if you’re happy with it, buy it. But DEFINITELY try it out first!!

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the comments.

Is the TX bandwidth on the MP limited to 2.4?

I literally have zero experience with older mechanical filter rigs. I see a "bandwidth" knob, and wonder if that only functions on RX and not TX? I'm so spoiled by my 7300 in this regard, and not sure what to expect.