Thinking of Raspberry Pi? It's easy!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by MW1CFN, May 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. MW1CFN

MW1CFN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is just for those of you who, like me, thought getting a Raspberry Pi to run your digi modes is just too complex or somehow 'lesser' than running on a more 'mainstream' unit.

I'm very happy to say my experience was of an easy set-up, with the added advantage of the board (most of us have a spare HDMI screen and keyboard lying around), costing around 1/10th the price of a basic laptop. Also a bit more convenient to power from 5V (at 2.3Amps or so), rather than stepping up to 19V for a laptop.

Overall, other than for things like games, the current Pi is now a very capable all-round computing solution. If you look up advice online, you may well find a lot of it is outdated. A number of functions are now, much more conveniently, available from the graphical interface of Raspbian (the OS), without the need for ventures into issuing obscure commands.

https://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/more-pi.html

Again, this is to encourage folks, not an invitation to troll.

K6CLS likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The RPi3 B+ looks like a nice box to play with.

Have Fun.

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a very fun platform, I have an original RPi polling my Peet Bros Wx station and uploaded the data to the internet, as well as decoding a data channel on VHF using an RTL-SDR device, and it's been doing this for many years now. I have the 2nd and 3rd models doing various other tasks in my house - dirt cheap computing.

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't bother with the laptop or desktop any more. RPi 3 is my main system. Good enough.

That said I dream of building a maxed out Ryzen system!!

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The RPi3's are amazing.

I got one set up as a Direwolf ARPS digipeater (headless) with a $24 Boafeng HT. Unbelievably, and it's been running 24/7 for about a year now.

Just picked up another one for a headless WSPR 20m beacon. A little more complex because I added an MFJ QRP tuner and an RF filter. But one thing is certain - everybody loves Raspberry pie........!

Sm.jpg

Jim, WQ2H