Thinking of buying SDRplay. Anything else I should consider?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by W4MJZ, Feb 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4MJZ

W4MJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thinking of buying an SDR play.

Looking for:
    *Good HF and all spectrum coverage. Mostly HF but want to play with GOES reception someday.

*Small size so I can travel with it and use it with my android phone.

Under $150.

This is what is having me leaning towards an SDRplay but wanted to see if anyone wanted to recommend a different receiver.

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

nope. the SDRplay is a great littlepiece of equipment. I originally bought mine for a small EME experiment, but as soon as I started playing with it I found many, many more uses. I've got mine set up on a desktop, a laptop, and a Raspberry Pi3 / 3.5TFT... all three work great.

There IS one problem with it though: Because it can recieve on almost every possible band you can think of, you'll need about a dozen antennas to use it to it's fullest potential. For my little set-up, I've got a 70cm/2m antenna, a 70cm yagi, a 40-20m loop, a base loaded vertical for 80m, and a short (30ft) wire with a tuner for everything else. It's kind of addictive. You discover a new area of the spectrum you want to explore.... and have to build a special antenna to match it!

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been looking around too. The AirSpy also looks good but a bit above your price range.

KD2RHT likes this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

What SDR app runs on Android?

Plenty will work fine on a low or medium power laptop.

I was disappointed trying my RPI even with 10" TFT.

And yeah, the antenna thing

5. KM4JB

KM4JB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

make sure you buy an antenna adapter for whatever antenna you plan to use.

I use mine with an Android tablet, sort of. I have WinStick like this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHHN7PW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_tCJwCbTNWHTZC

running Windows10 that is powered by a USB adapter. The Winstick then powers the SDRplay.

Enable RDP on the Winstick and then use any RDP client to connect to it. I usually use a laptop but can use the Android Tablet as well. It is very portable and comes in real handy. I also load the programming software for my mobile radios so if I want to make changes to them I can just bring it out to the truck and plug them in.

The model I have is powerful enough to run Ham Radio Deluxe and WSJT-X so I can connect to my IC-7300 and use it for digital modes and logging. A couple of tricks needed to get everything running on it but nothing major. Virtual comm ports and Virtual Audio drivers are your friend.

Good luck with whatever you end up with and have fun. Feel free to reach out if you have any problems or questions.

6. W4MJZ

W4MJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

on the Pi, the screen is too small / low resolution to really use it well.... BUT it does make a nice little travel SWL radio

8. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, goes without saying that you should understand the merits of the RSP1A vs the different RSP2 models.

9. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I highly suggest that you go for the RSP2, not only for it's superior specs but with the three antenna inputs you don't have to play the changing cables game nearly as much.

And speaking of cables, it does not come with a USB cable. Get yourself a good quality C/B cable with ferrites built on. Definitely worth the money.

Also get a batch of SMA>BNC-UHF-N adapters. I'm sure you will need them.

regards, Roy

10. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got an RSP1A which I use as both a second receiver and panadapter for my TS850S. It hears just as well as the Kenwood. Best money I ever spent.

Max
    VE3TMT