Things to have ready before you need them

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB2YC, Sep 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hurricane season for the folks in the south also is the time for those in the North realize winter is coming.

Sometimes things happen that catch us unprepared, so it's good to be the habit of having some things ready all the time.

One is to always carry water in your vehicle and to rotate it often; for me it's as simple as grabbing
    a fresh bottle of water as I leave to go somewhere and to drink one of the ones already in my vehicle.

Another one is to get into the habit of recharging your batteries on some form of a schedule.

A ham friend once said "Every ham should have a radio that runs off of 12v", I tend to agree.

I also carry a full change of clothes (in Ziploc bags)in my vehicle, If something happen
    and where I get wet or dirty it sure is nice to have clean dry clothes to change into.
    On that point I also carry a Towel (HGTTG readers know of this useful tool).

These are just a few little things I'm listing in hopes others will join in to inspire a little thought on this subject.

W7JZE likes this.
  2. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't let your fuel tanks get low. Treat 1/2 a tank as empty and refill when it reaches that level.

W7JZE, NL7W, KD4MOJ and 4 others like this.
  3. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have kept a can of soup in my car for as long as ive had a car. Covers emergencies from forgetting lunch all the way up to "the world may be ending but at least ive got italian wedding for a last meal"

W7JZE, K8AI, K9ASE and 4 others like this.
  4. AB2YC

I like that, I used to carry fig cookies or nutria grain bars. But that sounds a bit better.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition to water and a snack and appropriate clothing - flashlight, cell phone charger, lighter, blanket, extra hat, extra gloves, camp shovel, jumper cables, paper towels, appropriate paper map, full washer fluid tank, full gas tank and of course don't forget to put the snow brush and ice scraper in the car! If going anywhere even slightly off road - lots more stuff...but that's a whole different topic.

Charged batteries were mentioned which is very good. I've also learned to just replace vehicle batteries every 5 years.

NL7W, K9ASE and N2EY like this.
  6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

mmm...Nutria, the 'other white meat' grain bar!
    [​IMG]

NL7W, N2EY, K8AI and 2 others like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And that's why I carry the lighter.

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

How many hurricanes you been in there guy? Just curious.

9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My winter survival gear stays in the truck year round(I have space for it...). I do swap the water out yearly, and I have a half dozen MRE's in there. Back when I had my van I got caught in between 2 wrecks on snow drifted roads. No way off and around either so trapped until they got a highway crew out. 4 other cars plus the people from the accident in front of me. They all piled in the van, I fired up the furnace(camper van!), heated some soup on the stove and we all ate then slept warm until help arrived 20 hours later. With no injuries in either accident(jackknifed semi in front of me, 5 cars piled into a deer drift behind me and stuck) the highway patrol said we were on our own, roads were closed until the wind died down. Pays to have the gear to survive.

NL7W and KB9LXP like this.
  10. AB2YC

Indeed a hat and gloves.

First aid kit, road flares, duct tape

I also tend to carry more in my Jeep if I'm heading to remote area.
    Some places here still have poor cell phone coverage.