Things EVERY ham needs

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by KL7AJ, Aug 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

can i use my dvm? and what diode?
    thanks!

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes - and 1N34 would do the trick

Dave
    W7UUU

WA1GXC likes this.
  3. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes---1N34A or 1N270---They are Germanium diodes. They need a lower effective voltage for the junction to conduct and function--about 1/2 of a silicon diode. It will work much
    better and be way more sensitive.

I have a hoard. I'll drop 2 in an envelope tomorrow.

They are worth all of $0.15 each, but will cost 10 bucks in shipping if you mail order them.

If you can find an old Radio Amateur's Handbook or ARRL "Hints and Kinks" from the 1960s, there's a "Wavemeter" project which is a field-strength meter with a coil and capacitor tuned-circuit
    that gives you the band your TX is transmitting on. Built into a big metal kitchen measuring cup.

K8PG, KA0USE, N2UHC and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've salvaged a bunch from a couple of old crystal-controlled scanners. They had one diode per channel located next to the crystal plug-ins, so I've got quite a few of them. Not sure they're actual 1N34's but the performance was the same. So if you need 1N34's look for an old crystal scanner.

5. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

big THANK YOU!! shout out.
    mama says (even through the veil) i don't say 'please' and 'thank you' i get a butt-whoopin'.
    and my fanny has been bright red enough times to traumatise me.
    the diodes came yesterday and a physical thank you is in the mail.

6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

My pleasure--No thanks necessary, but tks for the thought.

Another tip--Don't let the Piney-Wood Rooters chew on your coax.

7. DL8TE

DL8TE Ham Member QRZ Page

2) An RF field strength meter.

===> absolute agree! Using a Surecom SS10, easy but good quality, makes my life so much easier. :)

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Save old "checkbook" boxes. Perfect for accumulating small parts prior to assembly!

9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, another thing every ham needs: A magnetic parts dish to hold screws and other pieces of hardware as you're working on a radio. These can be found at auto parts stores, but might be a bit big for a workbench. I personally use a small dog food dish to which I epoxied a large donut magnet from a mag mount antenna base to the bottom of the dish. Don't worry about losing those screws when you bump the dish you're holding them in.

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, you ceratinly can use your DVM. Preferred diode would be a germanium or a schottky.