They won't give it another thought, but it makes me feel better

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

In some ways yes - in other ways, no.

I mean, a REAL technical dude would have built a transmitter by the second episode, and would know enough to protect it from the fumblings of the non-technical.

But, then, there wouldn't be a third episode.

----

The Southgate Transmatch is built into a BC-191/375 tuning unit, and uses many of the parts. The transmitter section of the Type 7 uses some tuning-unit parts, plus part of the case.

Pictures of a TU-6B tuning unit:

http://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=289976

There was a QST article in the late 1940s or early 1950s in which a TU-6B tuning unit (the one that tunes 80 meters) was converted into a VFO. I would expect it to be rock-stable, given the parts used.

---

At the end of the 1962 film "The Manchurian Candidate", you can see a complete BC-191/375 transmitter in the room Raymond Shaw (Laurence Harvey) uses as a sniper's nest. There is no reason for a transmitter to be in that room; it is just set dressing.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2SR and WA7PRC like this.
  2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

In one episode, the professor did build a transmitter, using the "spare transistors" in the radio. Unfortunately, it was an extremely QRP device, and could only be used in one extremely limited application. I forget exactly what it was, but it was something like an airplane that they knew would be flying directly overhead or something.

I believe that due to some blunder by Gilligan, they missed the one opportunity to use the transmitter.

3. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Since my QSTs are not getting sent back, they know I didn't move. I've contacted all Directors and Vice-Directors as well as HQ several times...they know where I stand and why. The point they should get is that I didn't even open it, I just put it right back in the mailbox. They've already taken enough of my time and money. :D

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's more like:

The lyrics fit the OP's sentiment (or sediment). ;)

"Thank you. Thank you very much..."
    -E. Presley

The stuff 'The Professor" came up with was... yuuuge. ;)

W7UUU, AF7XT, N2EY and 1 other person like this.