They don't make em like this anymore...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of us old farts remember these, the ARC-5. Been many years now, my memory could be faulty, but I recollect 811 finals... Put one on the air, long long time ago.

[​IMG]

KC8YLT, K1TGX, N4BC and 2 others like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

1626 oscillator. 1625 finals. 1629 calibration indicator.

The receivers are pretty good. The transmitters are good as parts sources.

They were plentiful and cheap because of The Bomb.

K7MH and W7UUU like this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The VFO section of the ARC-5 / SCR 274N transmitters were very stable. Also, with certain modifications, the transmitters worked well for amateur radio use.

I used the VFO section of a BC-459 transmitter for 6-meters. This gave me the 2nd VFO controlled 6-meter transmitter in the city. Also, for Army MARS 5 MHz CW nets, I used either a BC-457 or BC-458.

Glen, K9STH

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They don't make them like this anymore and haven't in a very long time. HOWEVER...you can still find plenty of them for sale at hamfests. They must have made a zillion of them during WWII for aircraft. I recall even in the late 60s you could easily pick up an unused one....receiver or transmitter. The receivers in particularly were quite good.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

My first Novice rig! VFO and all!

WN1MB likes this.
  6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My father had a collection of these things, and modified many for different purposes. I had one of the matching receivers with a downconverter on it as part of a mobile CW rig. The ARC-5 was bolted to an aluminum plate, with my Johnson Viking Mobile bolted next to it, and the whole thing was strapped to the center console over the engine in our Dodge van. The receiver was one of the low frequency units, making it very useful as a tuneable IF. Dad used one as the VFO for his Central Electronics 10B and 20A for many years.
    I don't know what happened to the rest of them - I remember them all lined up on a shelf in the garage.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had some of this stuff also.

HUGE surplus after the War (and many years later...I picked up my ARC-5 series gear in 1965 and it was "new in box"); guess nobody knew when the war would end and they just kept cranking them out.

On Radio Row in NYC (electronics surplus shops) these used to be $5 each for a used one and $10 each for unused, still packaged ones. They kinda sold them by weight.

Picked up a BC-221 "frequency meter" (sort of, it had a chart and was pretty accurate) for $10 I think and that was pretty cool. The quality of the components alone, like the variable capacitor and tuning mechanism, was excellent and even at 20 years old, smooth as silk. Bought an "RF Ammeter" WW2 surplus (forgot the designation) for a few dollars and that was my first "output meter," way before I had an SWR bridge. Tuned everything for max feedline current, and there you go.:)

My BIG MISS was I could have had a BC-610 in what looked to be "new" condition (not a scratch on it) for $100 I think (maybe $150, it's been a long time) back then. I actually had the money but no way to get it home. 400 pound transmitter bigger than I was and 4x my weight wouldn't slide easily onto the subway and then the bus I had to take home.:( If I'd been older and had a van or truck, I think I would have had that.

I begged my father after returning home to please rent a van and bring me back there, but no go.:p

N5DMC likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was still using my BC-221 until 1992 when my former XYL disposed of it for me. If she hadn't I'd probably be using it still.

The old man had a BC610. What I remember about it was that it was a TVI factory and that mama sure put up a fuss when daddy and one of his buddies (somehow) wrestled the monster into the house. ;)

W8BE likes this.
  9. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was in the USAF they offered me free a BC610 but I couldn't fit it in my car, as you can see I tried the car door and under the hood (trunk).
    vw.jpg

KC8YLT, W1TRY, KA4DPO and 6 others like this.
  10. W2AI

W2AI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Burt's Bug Beetle in the early '60s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.