They can hear me, I can't hear them

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KI7IUH, Apr 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you've discovered that on VHF, the antenna height is by far the most critical factor. With a sufficiently good antenna at the other end (assuming nobody else was on the same frequency), someone on the moon would have no difficulty hearing you, even though the moon is more than 8 miles away.

On a more realistic note, with a relatively modest antenna that you can build yourself out of scrap, the Baofeng is perfectly good for making satellite contacts, even though the satellites are a lot more than 8 miles up.

2. KG7TUO

KG7TUO Ham Member QRZ Page

I found myself laughing at all the Baofeng bashing. I'm an Extra and and I have SIX Baofengs. My first two ever ham radios (UV5R's) and FOUR V5RTP's (8 watts). With my 1/2 wave vertical dipole (home brewed and sitting at 12 feet), 100 feet of RG8x (that's 4.7 db attenuation, and TWO (supposedly) watts on the Baofeng I can get into the repeater 29 miles away....though the 4 watt setting gives a better audio signal so I run 4 when doing that. I can also do it on the Nagoya 771 from the driveway.

Those little Baofengs were my backup when I first started running nets and several times I had to go to them when my big name brand decided it was done for the night.

There is nothing wrong with a Baofeng that is going to be exacerbated with a better antenna.

That homebrewed vertical 1/2 wave dipole by the way has made it 102 miles into a repeater from 12 feet above ground at an elevation of 400 feet......with 25 watts though I went up to 50 for audio quality...... it's a pretty darned good rig and the Baofeng's have NEVER complained nor been less effective than the rubber ducks or Nagoya 701 and 771's that I also have.

But hey, My Yaesu's are looked down upon by a local guy with a couple of Elecraft's. Go figure.

3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure of your RF environment, but there is a huge difference in receiver overloading with m UV5R vs. my TH-D72a when I'm driving around with a 1/4 wave groundplane on my car.

YMMV.

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with the comments about the Beofangs . . .

I have two UV5Rs . . . they work great with the small helical antenna supplied . . .

But if I connect it to my 2m Ground Plane on top of my 50ft mast, I can't hear ANYTHING! No signal will open the Squelch.

Not even my nearest Repeater, which is s9++

The front end is obviously completely overloaded by all the different commercial transmissions within its extremely wide front end.

Roger G3YRO

5. UR5FKT

UR5FKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear friends
    Maybe it's interesting, me and my family
    excursion to the factory Boafeng in China.

6. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious about this "desensing" problem is with a Baofeng/external antenna combo. My BF8 runs on a Tram 1481 vertical and works really really well. I've obviously not experience the above issue, but i'm in a fairly rural area without a lot of towers, signals, and such. Local fire departments are around and such, there are repeaters and hams in the area too but not commercial towers anywhere nearby. (Closest I know of is about 15 miles south.) I wonder if you folks who are experiencing the issue are in more of an urban area?

Sounds like I shouldn't complain!

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

while a higher antenna helps range improve it also can make the receiver de-sense worse and u should consider adding a bandpass filter between the radio antenna connector and the coax to the outside antenna ! That would filter out all the high power commercial traffic outside the 2M band !/

K1IGS likes this.