ad: M2Ant-1

They can hear me, I can't hear them

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KI7IUH, Apr 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a definite possibility. But he apparently got it to transmit on the output frequency, so it's likely he was also listening on that frequency. It would take me a while to get it to transmit on the output. However, if the radio has one button to do a reverse split, then it's possible he hit that button, in which case he wouldn't be able to hear the other guy.

But my money is on the receiver desensing, especially if he says that it's a Baofeng or something similar.

2. KI7IUH

KI7IUH Ham Member QRZ Page

WB2WIK, that is a valid concern but I assure you that the frequencies were setup correctly. Since then I used CHIRP to program in the local repeaters and they are working correctly.
    I tried another field test today with a home-brew g-plain antenna and had the same problem. Through the repeater I made contact about 30 miles north. We switched to 147.500 MHZ simplex and he could hear me fine but I couldn't hear him when he replied.
    I've turned the squelch to zero to try and hear even the weak signals but am not sure what else to try.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

30 miles might be a tad far for simplex unless you are line--of-sight. Can you try a different rig?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a better radio.
    I started out, on 2M FM, with a Regency HR2 that had a terrible receiver, would get de-sensed by every high power VHF (150-170 MHz) commercial base radio within a few miles. making it hard to hear low power simplex on 2M. Finally bought an Icom 2S radio that had a very sensitive and bulletproof front end and I could hear 2 Watt hand held radios, with the little rubberduck antennas, inside houses 15 miles away. But they could not hear my 10W signal.
    Next I got a 140 W amp for the mobile setup and a 7 ft Hustler colinear antenna on the car roof and could hear Everyone and THEY FINALLY could hear ME on simplex !
    True story from the '70s :D

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  5. KI7IUH

WOIS and K8ERV seem to be on the right track as far as I can tell. I'm using a Baofeng and transmitting at 8 watts. I've only had my license for about 6 months so I am heavily reliant on everyone else's experience and expertise.
    I don't have a different rig to use and won't be able to afford one for a while so I'm trying everything to squeeze every last drop out of what I got.

6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

In the VHF/UHF world there is an old saying.... "Height is might."

I had a similar experience. When I switched to a GOOD out door antenna the problem went away.

7. KI7IUH

The elevation may admittedly be a problem. I usually do field tests with my 10' pvc mobile mast on the bench overlooking the valley. Last week I did a test with the same mast in the churchyard surrounded by trees and houses and was still getting about 20 miles simplex using 8 watts.
    That is, I'm getting TX that far but no RX. From the churchyard, the contact I made said that there was a lot of static.

8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

But the problem with a good antenna on the Baofeng is that it will overload the receiver and make it more or less useless. My Baofeng actually works pretty well with the included el cheapo antenna. Or, to put it another way, it works as well as any radio would with a cheap antenna.

The Baofeng would probably work pretty well "hilltopping" with the antenna that came with it. But with a good antenna, it's just overwhelmed by all of the strong VHF that's floating around in the area.

At my blog, I have some experiences with using the Baofeng in a contest. You can have fun with a Baofeng in a contest, if that's what you have. But there's also a reason why most contesters don't use Baofengs:

http://onetuberadio.com/2014/01/19/operating-the-vhf-contest-with-the-baofeng/

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  9. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Simple-- repeater antenna way up in the air--- you and the contact standing at ground level. 73

10. KI7IUH

I've tried contacting from an elevation above the repeater with no trees in the area. It does seem like the problem is my Baefeng de-sensing. On the plus side, I hit a repeater 65 miles away across the valley on a cheap radio that should only go 8 miles!