there was a time ..............

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G6URM, Jan 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G6URM

G6URM Ham Member QRZ Page

when amateurs used to build their own gear , i like making stuff - even simple accessories like an adaptor for a speaker stand to mount an antenna - turned out of a solid 2 inch aluminium billet - took me a while that one .lol and today i have just received a "double depth " ammo case - guess what thas going to be ??

so what have YOU built of late ? - lets hear about your projects - simple or complex

KI4ZUQ and N1VAU like this.
  2. G6URM

G6URM Ham Member QRZ Page

ok not the most exciting thing - but if you can't buy one .......... ooops posted image twice - my bad .lol

Attached Files:

KI4ZUQ, W1VT and WZ7U like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a picture of my shack, taken just now. What have I built? In the last month, 4 receivers, SSB, CW and AM xtal filters, an entire prototyping system and written some firmware. I am almost ready to bring it all together into a 5 band transceiver.

20210116_171637.jpg

KI4ZUQ, KA4DPO, N2EY and 5 others like this.
  4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I built half a dozen bigger and better choke baluns for my antennas. I realized there were better designs since many of my antennas were built so I replaced many of the old single core designs.

When I rebuilt the feed for my 15M collinear I got in some practice with my 15%silver brazing rod. I got the wire red hot and made connection that looked really good.
    Then I was able to solder to the wire without worry that I'd upset the silver braze.

I have riser blocks and high helix tooling for cutting aluminum so I can go up to 4inches diameter with my miniature lathe. As well as a lot of Alumtap cutting fluid for aluminum.

Zak W1VT

I caught the grey line opening and got a R+03 report for LB8DC this morning on 160M with my 36ft high Inverted L!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    N2EY, WZ7U, N1VAU and 1 other person like this.
  5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's winter and I have snow, so lately I have turned my ham radio focus to the indoor project of reconfiguring my shack. A complete tear down of the station's operating arrangement.

I'm using what I have already built in an updated way.

When I built my radio table I made it fit in the area I had. It's pretty rugged as it's made out of 2x4s, 2x6, painted black, with plywood shelf and table top finished with urethane. It came out even better than I expected.

Now I am having fun filling up the space with station gear I already have in a way to make it easier to operate. Fitting in 2 monitors has been a challenge, but I think I have figured it out by putting one on a swing arm.

Hopefully I can get most of it ready to operate to take advantage of the number of operators who participate in the VHF contest going on today. I have a 6m and a 2m yagi on the tower put up late last fall that have yet to be utilized by actually talking to someone.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    VK4HAT, WZ7U, KC1NY and 1 other person like this.
  6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Show off. :p

VK4HAT and PU2OZT like this.
  7. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm just jealous . . . because I'm not that talented. Great work!

VK4HAT, N8RKD and PU2OZT like this.
  8. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in 1965 when I got my callsign (in the days when a G6+3 callsign carried a /T after it!;)) I built a complete station for 70cm AM, a few years later 2m became available to me and I built another complete set-up for that band, though this time the receiver was courtesy of Heathkit. Now I am coming up to 80 y.o, my hand is not as steady as it was and my eyesight is not as good, so all that I have built recently is a couple of ATUs and some wire antennas - oh, and a 3 el portable beam for SOTA use on 70cm.

VK4HAT and N2EY like this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

there was a time .............. yes....yes... a long long time ago.

ABOUT 12 YEARS AGO, I RECALL BUILDING UP ONE OF
    THE K1EL KITS.......

homebrew heros.jpg
    ==========https://homebrewheroes.org/

=== ACCU MILL KBD 2021.jpg

ACCU MILL KEYBOARD K1LKP.jpg
    if it smells like chicken 2021.jpg

ENJOY BUILDING YOUR VARIOUS PROJECTS.

NOW DAYS, MY HANDS SHAKE TOO MUCH TO
    PROPERLY HOLD A SOLDERING IRON.

THANKFULLY, I CAN STILL TYPE.

73 ES HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEKEND.

likes with CW FOREVER HANDS.jpg

KI4ZUQ, W4NNF, KA4DPO and 3 others like this.
  10. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great on the keyboard but I liked the picture showing your rigs!

KI4ZUQ likes this.