ad: M2Ant-1

There is a new Pi in town...and I have questions.

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by AA9G, Mar 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today saw the release of the RPi 3. I've decided to jump in. Can anyone recommend a solid 7 in touchscreen for it? Also curious which OS would be best for ham based applications, if any. I expect my first use to be running an RTL-SDR dongle. Thank you!

2. KM4BLG

KM4BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

This screen plugs straight into the board. I don't have one personally, but I've played around a little with one and I like it.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-eagerly-awaited-raspberry-pi-display/

I run Raspbian on my Pi 2. It works great with FLDigi and CHIRP. I have a friend that has managed to get WSJT to work with it, although I haven't really tried it out yet.

As for RTL-SDR, I've only tried it with the command-line rtl_fm program, but it works great for that. Can't really say much for waterfall graph, etc, but Adafruit did a tutorial for this.

https://learn.adafruit.com/freq-show-raspberry-pi-rtl-sdr-scanner

As for the RPi 3, you might want to grab one up now. I've been playing with Pi's since a few months after they first came out and so I've found that every time a new one comes out there is a mad rush to get them. After the first few are grabbed up it can be weeks, or in the case of the Pi Zero, months. MCM Electronics was still selling them (labeled as Shipping Soon) at the time of writing this. I've already placed my order. (One per customer)

3. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. I had already checked SWAG store, they don't have that display any more. :(

Oops nvm, found one.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  4. KM4BLG

Yea the Swag Store seems to come and go with its selection. You can always check one of the distributors like Adafruit, MCM, or element14.

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yep.... I'm still waiting for the Pi Zero to reappear on the marketplace.

6. KM4BLG

Same here. You can get one on eBay for about $30-50.

7. W5VE

W5VE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ordered my RPi 3 from Canakit in Canada. Still have not found a Zero.

KK4NSF and KM4BLG like this.
  8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked to Adafruit the other day, and it appears that the chances of getting a Zero or a Model A+ anytime soon are not so good. BUT they do have the Pi3 in stock..... but don't tell anyone until AFTER I've ordered mine, since the supply is limited. ;)

My older Pi2 setup works well as a lightweight desktop.... I'm betting the new Pi3 will even work better! Linux ROCKS!

9. KM4BLG

I have a Pi 3. I love it. Not a whole lot of performance gain over Pi 2 if on 32 bit, but I would imagine once 64 bit Raspbian comes out, that will make a difference.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

MCM has a 7" HDMI touch screen for $60 -- unfortunately not self-contained. They get a bit more spendy if you want one similar to a real computer monitor.