ad: LZQSLprint-1

Theodore H. Tate, K6YN

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K7FE/SK2017, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7FE/SK2017

K7FE/SK2017 QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member

By chance I recently stumbled upon my father, Theodore H. Tate, K6YN, listed on your website. Sadly I must report to you that he passed away on March 1, 2006, two months before his 101th birthday. After retiring from the FCC in
    the late 1960's, he spent many an hour rag-chewing with hams all around the world.

His interest in radio began in the infancy of that medium while a growing farm boy in Indiana. That interest was expanded when he served in the U.S. Navy as a radioman during the 1920's, primarily on a destroyer, the USS Preble.

Interested not only in radio, but in everything electrical,
    mechanical, and just about everything else. If he didn't know how it worked, he made it a point to learn and quite often discovered ways in which to improve whatever it was that he was working on at the moment. Working primarily CW, he thoroughly enjoyed talking with the older hams
    worldwide, but still found time and enjoyment in talking with new hams and for many was their first contact.

A common man, he sought neither fame nor attention, but
    during his government service was responsible for many innovations which might have been quite profitable to him had they been developed outside of his employment.

I am sure that many of the older hams will miss his talks about the "good old days".

Leonard F. Tate

(posted by K7FE for the Tate family)

2. KG6JTB

KG6JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an opportunity to meet your father some time ago. He lived alone, I think your sister is a neighbor. Very interesting man.

He also showed me his first ham license, issued by the commerce department in 1923. It was a 2 letter, 1 number call sign.

Dave
    KG6JTB

San Dimas, CA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.