ad: MLSons-1

The YouTuber’s Hamfest 2021 - May 28-30

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not my issue. I have no idea why you think that.

It was pointed out by someone else. I am just articulating the value of choosing two different dates for two worthwhile events, in the future. It seems that didn't come to the attention of the organizers ahead of time.

Major hamfests are chosen on dates that do not coincide with major on the air operating events. Can you suggest an example where a major hamfest is scheduled at the same time as a major operating event?

That concern does not seem to be considered in this case.

Kindly don't make this a personal issue. Post #26 really gives you the details you seek:

"Contesters tend to operate both SSB and CW. It is not a 'CW" versus 'phone' issue. The WPX this weekend is a major, world-wide on-the-air event, with thousands of operators. This one will be major because the SFI is now approaching 90= possibly some of the best HF propagation in 5+ years. And it is the last major OTA activity of what some call the 'contest season', which roughly runs from Oct to May"

Thank you.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  2. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you kidding me Chip? You are the only one that seems care about this, based on the number of comments you've made about it in this thread. Why aren't the "others" you speak of chiming in? And regarding making it personal, you might go back and read a couple of your posts directed at me. I am certainly not trying to make it personal. I would genuinely be interested in some specific thoughts you have as to why it would be an issue. Yes, hamfests don't coincide. I'm only asking why you think that is? If that's making it personal then I guess you can decline to answer. *shoulder shrug*

VK7HH and KD5BVX like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have fun.

But I'm ready for a Real face to face eyeball Hamfest.

This just sitting around watching stuff is not my thing anymore. I'm not saying anything against the YouTubers. But Let's get back to one on one interaction.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the air

K8XG and W1YW like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry, but we disagree on this. I cannot speak for others. But you would take care to note that a singular voice (actually not the case based on the prior posts) is seldom a singular constituency.

May I suggest a poll, after the fact, seeing if folks think that a different weekend would work better? That would provide the feedback you seek. At least I have provided you the details on why there is a problem with (the present) scheduling.

Wishing the event well.

Chip W1YW

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as it doesn't happen on a major contest weekend;-)

K0UO likes this.
  6. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You sound both defensive and overly aggressive. I agree with at least one other opinion that it's not normally good practice to promote a Ham fest on a major contest weekend because of a divided community. I don't really care though as I won't be participating in either event.

NJ7V likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Already answered-- nothing to do with hamfests coinciding with hamfests. Its major hamfests and major on the air events....

From post #31: "Major hamfests are chosen on dates that do not coincide with major on the air operating events. "

The reason for that is operators like to operate when other operators are on the air. :)

K0UO likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

At least I am no longer being , IMO, gaslit for stating the obvious...

9. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Aw man, and I didn't even make any popcorn for this one. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing there will be as many in the contest as last year somewhere around 6000 entries, perhaps more? Out of how many licensed operators worldwide? Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000,000? I think both events will coexist just fine. Oh, and there's a couple other contests on the calendar this weekend too, so now even the contests are conflicting with themselves a little bit. In all seriousness there could be even more events going on this weekend and it'd be just fine. The other 99.8% (+ /-) of us not in the contest may want something else to do this weekend.

NJ7V, KD5BVX and W1YW like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually only a fraction of those who are in contests submit their logs. The number may exceed 12-15,000 on a hot contest weekend.

It would be interesting to see what percent of those contesters --causal or otherwise-- also attend hamfests. Bet its a goodly percentage!

Enjoy your weekend:)

11. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Funniest comment of the thread! After all of your posts about it you then act like you don't have a problem with it and don't see why he (and everyone else) thinks you do? Really? And I highly doubt there will be any conflict AT ALL, especially since the YouTuber's Hamfest can be watched later at one's leisure over the course of days, weeks, or months. If someone wants to do both, do the contest live and then catch up on the videos later. Why is this difficult to comprehend? Makes perfect sense!

@NJ7V I'm with you...he's trying to manufacture a conflict/issue/problem just to have something to say against the YouTubers, it seems...?

NJ7V likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark,

Please refrain from keeping your public comments personal. Deriding me is not in anyone's best interest.

As I already suggested (post #34), a poll after the event would be helpful, to decide if a different weekend would work. I do not know the outcome of a poll that doesn't yet exist. It is, however, ingenuous to assume that having a hamfest during a major contest weekend would be optimal. See what the poll tells you.

BTW I do not know the 'youtubers' and have nothing against them. Your inference that I am motivated to do so (that is, negatively attack them) is incorrect. Please see my prior posts(for example post #31) where I characterized this as a "worthwhile event".

You want my opinion?
    I think the planned 'youtuber' sessions sound like fun, and the amount of polish and organization to pull that off is a major accomplishment. It is unfortunate that the weekend has a conflict.

Thanks and 73
    Chip W1YW

13. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a point. I think if contesting really is your thing you'd want to submit your log. So I would imagine many if not most operators (maybe especially those who don't submit logs) might rather attend a hamfest if there was one instead of working a contest. Of course that's just my guess. Either way it's still a rather small percentage, so there's plenty of room for even more radio related activities in my opinion. There's probably many that don't like either contests or hamfests (got to find something for them to do too haha!). Speaking for myself only, I would rather have multiple options of things to do on any given weekend in or out of radio. If contesting or any other activity in general is your favorite thing to do then given a choice you're likely going to do that thing when you manage to have some rare free time.

W1YW, NJ7V and KD5BVX like this.
  14. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If a group wants to do something on a "major contest weekend" then that's their choice...no reason to "deride" them over the idea like in several posts. I suspect that thousands of hams will have nothing to do with the contest but may choose to view the videos, either live or archived. Some who participate in the contest will also watch, either live or archived. Some will do neither. That's what's so great about it - both can exist without issue or can be ignored if not interested in either. No need to make such a big deal about some "conflict". As you said, just wait and see. 73!

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

No surprise it's on the weekend of a major CW contest. Hello?

K6VOX, KE0GXN and KK9W like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.