ad: cq2k-1

The YouTuber’s Hamfest 2021 - May 28-30

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, many people unfortunately think the First Amendment applies to everything everywhere. It doesn't.

M1WML, NY4I, KJ4KPW and 2 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes;

CW WPX .

May I suggest that future planning kindly take a look at the contest calendar, which projects major contests months in advance.

M1WML, KG4IGC and K0UO like this.
  3. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Enjoy the hamfest. I'll be watching off and on. :)

M1WML, K8XG, N5TTI and 1 other person like this.
  4. KI7Z

KI7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Aww, I have heard you operate. I am guessing you can RX/TX CW, make a sandwich, and watch The Munster's at the same time, yes? :)

No worries, you can catch up afterwards as the streams will be viewable later on as well. Enjoy the contest!!

M1WML and N5TTI like this.
  5. KD5BVX

typically the comments that get deleted aren’t just of folks just sharing their opinion of the topic (that would be fine) but are personal attacks, name calling, etc, of the content creators. Or sometimes of the mods. Nobody wants to read that stuff. That’s not needed anywhere.

M1WML likes this.
  6. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you really have heard me operate CW I am happy that I sound more experienced than I really am on the mode. If it were RTTY that would be a different story in terms of multi-tasking. The real question is how did you know I liked The Munsters? (or is that a given that all hams like it? hihi)

M1WML and 2E0TWD like this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly where did they make that assertion?

Be specific. You made the claim. :)

Chris

M1WML and KD5BVX like this.
  8. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not see where anyone said they are the "experts". It sounds like a fun event for people that want to engage in it. If someone does not want to that is cool also.

Getting different views on products from novices to "experts" is value-added. As a consumer, you judge what sources you trust and ones you do not.

M1WML, K0UO and KD5BVX like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

For the thousands of hams that get on the WPX contest--an ON THE AIR event and one of the biggest OTA events of the year-- this signifies a conflict in time, in whole or in part, with a internet based --actually 'broadcast'--hamfest.

The bigger question is why we seem to be heading to internet 'broadcasts' ABOUT ham radio, rather than getting ON THE AIR instead.

Surely there is room for both, but this seems a direct conflict of one over the other. Do we 'play' broadcasters', or 'play' Q's? This event asks us to choose. Why?

Again, be a better idea to check out the main operating events OTA before scheduling a conflicting event. The operating events are scheduled not only way in advance, but have had the same schedule for decades.

But, I do wish this 'broadcast' event the best given those caveats.

Chip W1YW

M1WML, AD5HR, W5CJA and 1 other person like this.
  10. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see no conflict between CW WPX and YTHF. Those of you who actually know CW and like contesting, go for it! The YTHF is recorded and will be there for you to enjoy after the contest. The rest can enjoy the YTHF or even something else if you want.
    I really don't understand why this is an issue for some people. It seems a bit petty, territorial and even a little narcissistic. Isn't it better to have more options, rather than less, to get involved in ham radio on any given day?
    Has anybody actually asked the YTHF group about this? Do we know the assertions we are putting forth are true or are we just making assumptions?

N8PEM, M1WML, VK7HH and 2 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand: why is it petty? Don't get your 'territorial' allusion at all..

Contesters tend to operate both SSB and CW. It is not a 'CW" versus 'phone' issue. The WPX this weekend is a major, world-wide on-the-air event, with thousands of operators. This one will be major because the SFI is now approaching 90= possibly some of the best HF propagation in 5+ years. And it is the last major OTA activity of what some call the 'contest season', which roughly runs from Oct to May.

Also, getting on the air is the true mark of 'getting involved with amateur radio'. Talking about it on the internet certainly has value, and hence my post, but this post and all 'broadcasts' aren't the same as being on the air. That's why we got the license:)

Hamfests --the big ones--are not scheduled during major OTA contests, such as the WPX, ARRLDX, and CQ WW contests. Can you imagine Hamvention scheduled during a major contest? Nope. Why should this one be different?

I am sure it was inadvertent. Next year they may consider a different weekend.

Frankly I am astounded you take objection to someone pointing out the issue. As I said, there is room for 'broadcast' internet 'hamfests' and actual OTA major activities.

Why not?

Enjoy both.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  12. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

The only conflict for me is that here in the U.S. it's memorial day weekend. I just don't plan on engaging in much screen time this weekend if I can help it. Now if the weekend gets rained out of course that'll change things. If there's anything I'm interested in watching I can catch it on the replay too, so no big deal. For me contesting is lower on the list of things to do in radio so it would not likely conflict with anything I do. There's always another contest or 20 (slight exaggeration) on the horizon. Anyway, good luck to all involved in the Hamfest this weekend. I'm sure the turnout will be just fine.

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  13. KD5BVX

No conflict when you can watch them anytime. To say there's a conflict seems to be trying to manufacture one? And why a hamfest and not an OTA event? Think about it - what do you think hamfests for years have been about? Building community, learning new skills or gaining more knowledge, sharing in the hobby, all of which lead to more OTA activity. So...I'm with NJ7V here - I don't see a conflict at all.

I did think about it being a holiday weekend but I'm wondering if that might actually lead to more being involved rather than less...and perhaps that was their thought. Regardless, we live and learn - I think every hamfest, whether small/local or big/national, learns something new every year and makes changes to adapt and solve problems before the next one. Maybe they'll change the date in the future or maybe they'll find out it worked out exactly like or better than they expected. Let's let it happen and see how it goes before we say how it's going to end up...

M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The headline refers to 'May 28-May 30'.

That means two events--a hamfest and a major on the air contest--are scheduled at the same time. Fact.

Ham radio is about building an ON THE AIR community. That much we both agree. If its not an on the air community, then what does ham radio uniquely have to offer?

I think this internet broadcast is a fine idea, but the fact that it is scheduled at the same time as an on the air activity of major world wide import seems problematic to the objective.

It may not have an impact on you, but it seems reasonable to assume it is an issue for many others: Two events happening at the same time.

A different weekend next year sounds like a good solution, don't you think?

Your opinion is fine. Just pointing out the facts. My opinion is irrelevant to the facts. Personally I would like to watch a bit after the fact. Others might not find that viable. For example, a weekend event may be hard to enjoy during the week. That certainly is my case. Assume others.

Chip W1YW

M1WML likes this.
  15. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip - What's the issue here? Why will two events going on at the same time be an issue for you? Elaborate please?

M1WML and KD5BVX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.