The Yaesu YSK-891 Remote Head Mount Is Stoopid

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7WFM, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

First- it is completely different from the YSK-857 remote head mounting. Unfortunate, as I have ysk-857 already installed.

Second- There is no way to attach/un-attach the head unit to the mount easily. The head unit is screwed to the mount from the back. If the mounted unit is close to a wall or dashboard you're out of luck. There is no way to flush mount the head unit using this bracket.

Third- You must 'bend' the metal on the bracket to achieve your desired display viewing angle. This is actually printed in the owners manual. "Bend the metal bracket."

Fourth- Since the head to bracket 'screw' is in the center of the head unit the head tends to wobble left to right. Sitting the head unit in the bracket on a flat desk it's very tipsy and wobbly.

I thought the YSK-857 remote bracket was a poor design, and it is but, nothing like this piece of garbage.

What was Yaesu thinking?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

/rant over

2. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess - they were thinking profit. I don't know the price to buy that piece, but I'm guessing the cost to make it was about four cents.

So Yaesu adds 'value' without adding cost, assuming this came in the box with the radio. They also leave the door open to upsell you to a better braket - either by them or a third party (note - there is some benefit to the OEM in having third parties offer useful accessories, this is an easy 'gimme'.)

And yeah, looks like it would do better holding up books at the end of my shelf.

K7WFM likes this.
  3. K7WFM

It was $70.

Signed,
    Chump

W4NNF likes this.
  4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu uses the same bracket on the FTM-100 and FTM-400. Anyone need one? I have two tossed in a box in my shed...

When I first put the FTM-100 in my truck, I found the head would snap directly into the bracket for the FT-7900 it was replacing. Very convenient. However, when I got the FTM-400, no such luck. I tried a Yaesu suction cup mount and that was an unmitigated disaster. It would not stick, no matter what I put under it and I finally gave up. I tried a magnetic mount designed for a cell phone, but it vibrated too much on the top of the dash. I finally found a suitable mount for the 400 by using a combination of a bracket from ProClip and a swivel mount from Lido that screws into the back of the control head.

K7WFM likes this.
  5. N5NXZ

N5NXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I made my own bracket from a little heavier piece of aluminum flat bar. I put a small rubber washer between the control head and the bracket to keep it from wobbling around on the single screw mount. Seems to work fine. You are correct, the little piece of metal that came in the kit was crap and went straight into the trash bin.

K7WFM likes this.
  6. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Esshhh....sorry...but glad you're warning others. Did it come with tickets to a hockey game or maybe a free turkey or something?

K7WFM likes this.
  7. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

No ... but it came with a deed to a bridge that they just sold.

K7WFM likes this.
  8. K7WFM

Not even one of those cool YAESU stickers.

9. K4MZR

K4MZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. Why Yaesu made such a crudy mount for a relatively nice radio is beyond me.

K7WFM likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

They hired a new guy in design?
    I'm just a CAD student and a fabricator in a past life & I could make a better bracket than that and take the yl out for a decent dinner with the savings.

K7WFM likes this.