The Yaesu FT-450D - Super Value for under $670 shipped

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, Jun 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

First, there is no such item as a lousy performing inexpensive new transceiver. Many new transceivers fall in the $900 to $1300 price range. The new transceivers outperform older lower cost transceivers, have better receivers, more features and most older transceivers do not have DNR. The market now for new transceivers has never been better.

The new Alinco DXSR-9T that is more expensive at $699 and Icom IC-718 at $599 do not have a built-in antenna tuner and the receivers in both radios is not as good as the FT-450D. For $670 the FT-450D is a great performer that includes two CW filters, high stability TXCO, DNR and a built-in antenna tuner plus has a new warranty.

Frankly, you cannot go wrong with the new FT-450D. You can save enough money from more expensive new transceivers at $1K+ to include a used Ameritron AL-811 HF amplifier for as low as $400. Add three 572B tubes later and this amp will go from 500 to 800 watts PEP output. (Note- with the small plate 811A tubes, 500 watts PEP out is about as much as one can safely produce with three 811A tubes).

So, with a budget of under $1100, you will have a serious HF station that produces 500 watts PEP out. That is enough power to ensure plenty of contacts. 100 watts can limit you to much less contacts with present band conditions and it is not getting better for at least 2 years. The AL-811 amplifier will easily tune a 2 to 1 SWR antenna- no external tuner required. The My Antennas EWHF8010 will tune all bands 75 thru 10 meters with less than a 2 to 1 SWR.

KP4SX likes this.
  2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

its all true. i have a 45o d for ? 11 years and i really like it.heres the BUT !!
    i got a 7300 2 yrs ago.to be able to see entire band activity is such a dramatic
    experience that NOTHING can compare. not even free radios of the now out dated type.
    i would imagine manufacturers will soon empty inventories of old rigs at ANY clearance price AND stop making them. the used market is showing it now.
    it would be nice to have an extra "??? ???" rig
    brand new at a" shipping price."
    an hour with an sdr rig like the 7300 will convert anyone.
    ill bet that there were similar new rigs having this kind of effect back 40 to 60 yrs ago huh?? but no band display. im no expert but i know how the 7300 has affected me..

its a great time for anyone who loves radio...

3. N8FVJ

Some report the IC-7300 has a very noisy receiver. I sold mine due to that. I moved from the noisy location to a quiet location and suspect the IC-7300 would be ok at my new location. The IC-7300 only has a 123dB 100kHz blocking that may be the noisy issue. It is same as an old Kenwood TS-830S.
    A band spectrum scope is very handy for finding signals, but one can simply tune thru the band to find signals quickly. The $230 difference in price in-between the two radios partly buys into an Ameritron AL-811.
    Myself? I have money and have about $5K into my ham station that covers 160 thru 450mHz with band scope, VHF/UHF beam antennas and a 1KW HF amp plus a 160 watt 2 meter amp.
    I did not mention a used Astron RS-20 for $40 would run the FT-450D. Astron RS-20s will not lose regulation at 22 amps.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-450D has been my main rig for 2 years now. It's my favorite rig. I really like the ability to "customize" a few of the functions, like the DSP/SEL knob. Mine is set up to adjust keyer speed when pressed. It's much more convenient than going into the menu to change speeds. I also have the Voice/CS knob set up to display SWR when pressed.

One change I would suggest is investing in a better mic. The stock hand mic is a marginal performer at best. I use a Behringer XM-8500 (about $20 just about everywhere) with an adapter I found on eBay. BIG improvement.

5. N8FVJ

A desk microphone is much better than a hand mic anyways for any radio. XM8500 is a steal and sounds about same as a Shure SM-57 with a little more midrange punch- just the 'ticket' for ham radio communications. So, I consider the XM8500 as better than Shure SM-57 for ham radio use. New SM-57s are $100.

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. It took me a little while to get used to using a desk mic, but I now prefer it.

And you're right about the SM-57. I tried one,as well as an Audio Technica (don't remember the model, but it was about $40). I got the best audio reports from the 8500.

7. AA1EZ

AA1EZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad you all like the FT-450. I find it too noisy and the DSP is more of a volume control than noise reduction. I would rather have a TS-590 or an FTDX-3000 than an FT450d and an AL-111 amp, but that's me. ;)

8. N8FVJ

Sure for double or 4x the cost.