The world's ugliest bug!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5DH, Nov 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here it is, folks! The the world's ugliest bug. . . and I bought it. It's a chrome-plated Telegraph Apparatus Company "hole in the wall" bug. I already have a good one in my collection, so I didn't need another one. I just couldn't help myself. I felt sorry for it. It was only $20. This one's gonna be challenge. The chrome is hopelessly pitted. I'll probably sandblast and smooth out pitting in the base and then shoot it with black wrinkle finish paint. It'll never be a showpiece, but maybe I can save it from the scrap heap.

upload_2018-11-17_8-5-2.jpeg

US7IGN, W0AQ and VE7PJR like this.
  2. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently watched a few tool restoration videos on YouTube, and I was amazed at what people can do to bring them back to life. I watched some videos where people used a battery charger to remove the rust through electrolysis, and a similar process to nickel plate stuff. They made it look easy:)

3. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You may want to let that one rest in peace.

K6UJ and W4PG like this.
  4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah yes. I was expecting to be able to talk about the tarantula that I once encountered and subdued in my hotel room on Manus Island, Papua New Guinea. That was one very ugly bug. I also picked up an ugly bug while visiting Madras, India, was sick for three weeks. But never mind. Your is also ugly.

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was my Dad ! :p[​IMG]
    (said the little Bug)

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The thread title fooled me.

[​IMG]

M6GYU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I hope you can follow through with some level of restoration. It's always fun to bring stuff back to some usable life despite the initial "as found" condition :)

Good luck with your project - please post any progress.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't you worry, Dave. You know me. I'll expend stupid amounts of time, energy, and dollars to pursue hopeless amateur radio endeavours!

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

The hardware is coming out better than I expected. I isn't perfect, but it's presentable. I'm replacing all of the machine screws with new stainless steel screws. They won't look like the originals, but they'll all match and look nice.

upload_2018-11-23_15-38-40.jpeg

Of course, before y'all think this project is going way too smoothly, I have hit one significant snag. The dit contact assembly is kaput. The spring steel was so badly corroded that it had almost rusted through right where the contact point was mounted. I may be able to drill a hole and re-mount the contact point, and as hard as parts for this model are to find, you can bet I'm gonna try fixing it! I've already poked a divot in the metal using my spring-loaded center punch. Now the trick's going to be finding drill bits that will cut through that spring steel. That stuff's harder than you think. Maybe the machine shop at work has something. I plan to ask.

upload_2018-11-23_15-40-56.jpeg

The base will definitely need to be sandblsted and painted with wrinkle-finish paint. A friend of mine has a sandblasting cabinet, so I'm going to let him do it for me. Then I'll shoot the paint when the WX is nice enough.

More news when I have some. . .

PU2OZT, US7IGN, K2CAJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

My first reaction is you paid $20 for that? But the intermediate results look very promising. Best of luck with the rest of the project!