The Weird Lurches of Learning Morse Language

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Dec 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, but almost everyone's sending deteriorates with age. And, it's not easy learning to switch to paddles (or play the piano or learn a language) if you are elderly. Lots of guys you hear using bugs whose fists swing are doing their level best.

I will say I'm fighting it as well as I can. I frequently practice both QRQ and QRS sending (yes, QRS. I lost the ability to send slower than about 13 WPM, and I had to work hard to get it back. In fact, it's still a work in progress).

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean I can't run spark gap on Straight Key Nite?
    Heck I've been wasting time on perfecting my spark gap transmitter! :D

WB5YUZ likes this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Me, too. Wasted a perfectly good Ford coil before I found out...

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe we could put these to use as part of our emergency/doomsday radio shacks? I'll bet FCC regulations will not be rigidly enforced under end of world as we know it conditions. Now if I can only get FLDIGI to key my spark transmitter...

WB5YUZ likes this.
  5. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

You rang??

6. NG5O

NG5O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, age might figure into the equation too - people aren't all the same that way. But that alone is no excuse for sending bad CW. SLOWER CW may be the answer. Sloppy CW isn't. I'm returning from an absence from ham radio, and my CW isn't what it used to be. But practice makes perfect; as long as I still know what decent CW sounds like, there's hope.

N8AFT, N7BKV and WB5YUZ like this.
  7. NG5O

The most egregious example of CW abuse I hear now is ops used to high speed bug sending trying to slow their sending to accommodate a slower op.

There are ways to slow the dit speed on most bugs by shifting the position of the weights, and Vibroplex offers an accessory device to slow dits down even further. But a lot of these guys don't bother with any of that - they just leave their bug adjustments for 45wpm, and send their "dahs" at 10wpm. What a mess! A blizzard of dits at 45wpm, and then those S L O W "dah"s...what's a new CW op going to do with that nonsense?

WF7BSR, N8AFT, M6GYU and 2 others like this.
  8. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Dits that fast create their own tone on account of how short they are, making their own frequency. Especially numbers and H. And that tone is mixed with the CW side tone. Recognizing the "clump" as I call it is one thing. But putting it next to a 10 wpm Dah, not real rhythmic. More like whiplash!

N8AFT likes this.
  9. NG5O

This thread's dead now, it appears. Since my last post, I've been on the CW bands on 80-40-20...whatever, and...OMG ... a lot of what passes for "CW" on the bands now is just HORRENDOUS.

People are attempting to operate CW without the slightest understanding or concern for the proper ratio of dits to dahs - the result is that their transmissions just consist of garbage that's indistinguishable between the two.

Operators are using bugs set at 50wpm dits, and then they use the same device to try to slow to 15wpm, with the predictable garbage result.

The innate ability to send decent CW is not unlike playing music; there's rhythm involved. One either HAS the ability to sense the rhythm, or not. There's timing that makes correct CW between the dits and the dahs. Get it right, and you've sent decent CW. Get it wrong, and you've sent unintellible garbage. You either HAVE IT, or YOU DON'T. If you've never learned to send/receive CW, spend some time understanding the correct spacing between the dashes and dots. If you don't, it'll never happen for you.

MEMO to Prespective CW Operators: At the end of the day, you do NOT have the prerogative to screw around with the spacing/timing between the dits and dahs to make your sending sound "cool" ....Forget the "Swing Thing".

DO IT RIGHT, or get off the bands. We don't need it. Don't try to be a CW "hot shot" if you don't have the goods to pull it off - you just look like a dufus.

I hope a few people here reading this will share my concern - certainly some will object, and they'll be the defensive, guilty ones.

People, it's a communication medium. CW's not something you can put your personal "style" on. Do that, and you just look foolish - and you make the rest of us look foolish in the process.

DON'T DO THAT. If you do, you're ruining it for the rest of us.

WF7BSR, M6GYU and KG7WGX like this.
  10. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just use a very high Q antenna....

WB5YUZ likes this.