The wait for a Tech license is unnecessary

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by WRKS480, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Took the test on Saturday, got my callsign Monday. That's not fast enough for kids these days?

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

"Patience is a virtue" comes to mind.
    I've waited months for a QSL card from DX stations, and
    never got on-line to gripe about it.
    My son had to wait six weeks for an appointment to
    renew his drivers license, and he had to travel to a different
    town to do it.
    A few days for a Federal Agency to issue a license to a ham?
    Try getting a F.F.L., or many other Fed. licenses, most will
    take an order of magnitude longer.

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

Not clickbait at all--just a point of discussion turned into a new guy slamfest.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  5. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

So many stories about waiting months for a call sign. My dad used to say he walked uphill four miles into a headwind both ways to school. I tell my children (now grown) we had three TV channels at my house until I was in high school. That's actually true, but like the other stories, it's all irrelevant. There's what people experienced before, and then there's what's possible now.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah we only had a couple of things to complain about. Today the possibilities are endless.

KO4ESA, N5AF and WJ4U like this.
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

so true :p

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, not a new guy slamfest. Sorry that you see it that way. It's actually a new idea slamfest and not aimed at you personally.
    Those of us that have commented didn't think it was a good idea. History is replete with examples where the vocal majority were proven wrong and that could very well be the case here. As I suggested previously, please file a petition with the FCC if you truly believe this is worthwhile doing.
    By the way, some of us were wondering if the post was about your situation. When did you take the Technician (and General?) test?

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

There have always been myriad things to complain about. The actual difference is that today, we can complain in an instant. Think about it; you guys are using the same level of technology that could be employed as I'm suggesting to argue that such technology shouldn't be used.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    KO4ESA and AK7AN like this.
  10. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

I took the Technician test on Feb 12. Aced it, by the way. The VE running the session, an old acquaintance, tried to get to me take the General on the spot, but I was not prepared and had not intended to take it. I'll be taking it at the end of March, and I'll be prepared. Our session's forms were snail mailed to ARRL, a step that to me seems utterly redundant and unnecessary.

Lest anyone think I don't understand patience, I truly do. I've persevered through numerous military deployments, five promotions, and five degrees. I've held the launch key for strategic nukes, so I understand accountability, too. I've reared daughters for crying out loud. I get the difference between situations in which patience is required and situations where it need not be if current technology were properly applied.

KO4ESA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.