The wait for a Tech license is unnecessary

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WRKS480, Feb 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Instant gratification generation…..:rolleyes:

I’ll bet they will love getting a scrip to CQ magazine.

K0UO likes this.
  2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

In early 1999 I was a General. But I was on a roll and didn't stay a General for very long, before I upgraded to Extra. I took the Advanced and Extra written tests at the same VE session (Yea, the 20 WPM Morse test too). It took about 3 weeks for my new license to come in the mail, but it wasn't for Extra. It was my Advanced license. It seems, at the time, they processed the tests sequentially. It took another 3 or 4 weeks for my Extra license to finally come through. I didn't care about the delay. I was still working CW in the Novice bands.

3. W9YW

W9YW Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I'm a VE for ARRL and Laurel. The ARRL FCC VE tests in our area are monthly; Laurel is somewhat unscheduled in this area.

We at our local club get the VEs together, each month. Our local VE meister does the organizational and paperwork.

The V is for Volunteer. We want to do the testing to get new hams licensed in the hobby. Most pass; a few do not.

There's a false sense that computerization should make everything spontaneous, and previous examples of Amazon delivery was used as a rubric. This is both cloying and facile, in my opinion.

A great many volunteers, whether those that design the test questions, those that develop hardware/software to give test questionnaires, the ones that keep track of VEs, the FCC and their ULS (I wonder how it works, given the immense amount of information it stores) to the VECs, the VEs, the clubs, all these are volunteers. Their energy is in the test you took, and what happened afterwards.

From the comments, some get them quickly, and others do not. This is not Amazon, not a market pillager. These are people helping people achieve an understanding, prove that understanding by getting reasonable tests, then submitting test results that spawns a large government agency granting them a license which can be used, or otherwise revoked if the rules aren't followed, for the protection of the bandwidth of all users of it.

And so I growl here, out loud. Through the sausage of democracy, we figured out a workable way to divide electromagnetic spectrum, and artfully and scientifically communicate with physics you can't even see.

We did it without a king, who could act whimsically. That's what July 4th was about.

My 2c worth,

73 Tom W9YW

WA1GXC, K3UJ, W2JEL and 2 others like this.
  4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess their program is just not as Hardy.

Sorry, I was weak. I'll show myself out.

N3RYB and AJ4GQ like this.
  5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I realize that this is a dormant thread, but I've had an experience causing me to expand upon my earlier remarks:

I recently, finally, got around to getting a Canadian license. (I work "in Canada", although my trips into the office had been suspended due to the pandemic and the border closure. I hate signing portable, plus Canadian regs still require US licensees to have passed a code test to be on HF from Canada.)

I'm not certain what the process was like pre-pandemic, but currently accredited examiners in Canada apparently have credentials with ISED to report exam results. After I passed the test, the examiner made a notation in a web browser, and a few seconds later I had an email from ISED to register and select a callsign. Total time elapsed from passing the exam to being authorized to go on the air in Canada as VE2KVU: less than 2 minutes.

There are probably too many examiners in the US to make this sort of thing viable with the FCC, but it was a pleasantly quick and efficient process.

FWIW, Canada also still mails out paper licenses. A flier from RAC encouraging new licensees to join is included in the mailing.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    KD3Y likes this.
  6. WI9LL

WI9LL Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't read through all the responses, but if you test through one of the VEC's that does online transmission, Laurel is one example, then you'll likely get your call and license within a couple days unless it's the weekend or there is a government shutdown. That is a faster turn-around than anything else the government does. Surely new Techs don't mind waiting a few days. Not to mention, the first time I tested for Extra, I passed, but the whole test session was thrown out because of a complaint from someone testing there. Just because you pass and get your CSCE it doesn't 100% guarantee you get the license. There are occasionally issues.