ad: Momobeam-1

The wait for a Tech license is unnecessary

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by WRKS480, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll observe that USPS service into the Hartford area has been miserable for the past year...but stuff does seem to (eventually) reach its destination.

I agree that it would be nice if every VE team under all the VEC's could do electronic uploads. I was one of the VEs at the Centennial Convention in Hartford a few years ago, and new callsigns were issued within hours -- essentially as quickly as the League person who does the work could send the data up to the FCC. However, achieving electronic uploads would require upgrades with some of the VECs, under conditions where funds to do upgrades are not always available, and some VE team leaders are not necessarily the most computer-proficient individuals. Resolving that latter condition could put some VE teams out of business, which would be a problem in areas where such teams are few and far between.

KO4ESA and N5AF like this.
  2. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

Funny, Dave. It's been 11 days since I passed my test, and my test passage paperwork apparently hasn't been touched by anyone since the mailing. Tomorrow I'm calling my VE again to say, OK the mail has failed. What now?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  3. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

If mail into CT is problematic, that's the best reason for the system to be fixed. By fixed, I mean the snail mail option needs to go away. If funding is an issue, I'd happily pay an extra few bucks to help pay for the required upgrade.

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When my YL tested in 2019 for her General, it took her 2 months to receive it. VEC (ARRL) got involved before we knew what happened. She started calling ARRL after a month of nothing showing up from the FCC or in ULS.

Turned out....<drumroll>...

The VE never mailed the paperwork for any of the individuals in that testing session.

While I don't agree with the OP's assertion that a license should be immediately issued, I think there could be some major changes to the way our exams and testing are structured and submitted to the FCC.

Automation in the testing system - moved to a computer based online test that is automatically submitted and scored by FCC computers. The VEC system could be 90% eliminated or function solely as a certification body for the VE's who would oversee exam sessions.

Let's make the FCC work for that new license fee. ;)

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Such whining; still.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We could always just go back to the days of having to travel to FCC offices for an FCC-administered exam given the apparent shortcomings in the VE system.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a way this could be done, but it would take some changes at the VE, VEC, and FCC level. Basically, the VE could forward the info directly after the test session electronically to the VEC. The VEC would automatically send a request to an automated FCC license server, requesting call signs for the batch. The call signs would then be sent from the FCC to the VEC, and assigned "temporary" status as FCC licensees, since they haven't been fully approved by the FCC. The VEC server would automatically send that info to the VE team, and send an e-mail to each new licensee with their call sign and the fact that it is temporary for 14 days (or whatever time). Once the FCC completed their review, the next business day typically, the official callsigns would appear on ULS, unless side tracked for red light review. The FCC can immediately cancel any of these temporary calls, if something wrong is discovered. The licensee and VEC would be notified by e-mail of that.

But this would be a lot of change. The simple solution is to have the VEC's file electronically, and the info is entered within a few hours to a couple of days.

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

You may be blaming the wrong agency. I recently have had mail that used to take days and are suddenly taking weeks. Local mail is OK, but interstate is delayed for some reason.

Ben

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

Technology facilitates a much more efficient and speedy completion of licensure, and licensure is, after all, the goal of the examination. We aren't going to work out the details here, and the FCC isn't going to be in any hurry to do it. ARRL most likely won't enjoy being removed from the chain either. But such changes are needed. This would still be true if I were not personally affected.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. WW4LLL

WW4LLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my call sign: KO4NGK.

Now if I could figure out how to change to a Ham account...I guess I have to wait for my new call to get into QRZ, or do I have to make that happen?

KO4ESA and W1TRY like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.