The wait for a Tech license is unnecessary

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WRKS480, Feb 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

A Tech who passes General can transmit with General privileges on the spot, so why does a new Tech have to be at the mercy of the system? If the CSCE were serialized, or if VEs were authorized to issue temporary call signs, a new Tech could get on the air right away. This would be good for the community, so why isn't it addressed?

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. WRKS480

WRKS480 QRZ Member

A Tech who passes General can transmit with General privileges on the spot, so why does a new Tech have to be at the mercy of the system? If the CSCE were serialized, or if VEs were authorized to issue temporary call signs, a new Tech could get on the air right away. This would clearly be good for the community, so why isn't it addressed?

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure how this might be good for the community. Please do file a petition with the FCC if you believe that such a procedure is beneficial.

KO4ESA, AG5DB, KE0GXN and 4 others like this.
  4. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For one they would not have a call sign (or have a publicly available record).

KO4ESA, KD2TUD, N2EY and 10 others like this.
  5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Forgot to ask - how is this good for the community?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    KO4ESA, K0UO, WG7X and 1 other person like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

And what is "the mercy of the system" imply when there is no benefit to instant gratification?

NO VE or VEC can determine the next available call sign nationwide. No system exists nor could one be implemented as a matter of practicality. Consequently, the suggestion is impracticable and subjectively unnecessary. There is no value-added speeding up a process simply to issue a hobby license which takes a day or two at most.

KO4ESA, K0UO, K3UJ and 4 others like this.
  7. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Because VE's/VEC's are not empowered to issue licenses.
    That authority belongs to the FCC.
    Recipients of CSCE's already have a license.
    The CSCE just documents that they've met the requirements for an upgrade.

And before more Olde Timers like me chime in ... be happy with the current system.
    Back-in-the-day a new licensee had to wait until s/he received a paper document in the mail -- usually several weeks after passing a test in person at an FCC Field Office or --in the case of a Novice-- in-person with a volunteer examiner.
    ;)

KO4ESA, K0UO, WB2PKR and 8 others like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just a factual data point: I passed my Novice (Morse & written) in early December 1974 and received my call sign and license in early March 1975. That was more than three months waiting time!!

The system as it exists today is VASTLY more efficient than it was at one time.

I used my 3 months waiting time to build my first radio, a Heathkit HW-7 CW-only HF rig with 1.5 watts output, and to get my 40m dipole in the air.

Maybe use your week or so of "down time" to get your antenna in the air and ready to test once your ticket arrives via email

Dave
    W7UUU

AA5BK, N3RYB, KO4ESA and 11 others like this.
  9. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It also used to be that you had to wait for your next level license
    to be in hand before you could operate with your new privilege's.

The system today is indeed far more efficient than it used to be.

AA5BK, KO4ESA, KI5AAI and 1 other person like this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

But I want it NOW!

Concerning the OP-
    If you're thinking of emergency, you don't need to have a license to transmit. But it better be a valid emergency.

KO4ESA and KI5AAI like this.