The Vertical Experiment Continues.....

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KK4NSF, Feb 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting idea. I'll have to ponder it a bit before I can make a meaningful comment. It does appear to offer some promise.

One thing to keep in mind is that a number of locations prohibit a "mast or tower" of any kind.... thus using it as a dipole might work technically, but not be usable in the field.

We actually made one like that, and went back to the solid disk. While it was lighter, it had tendency to get hung up on other stuff in the backpack.

Thanks for the ideas. If you build one according to them, I'd appreciate your posting them. I'm always interested in better / handier portable antenna systems. They make field work a lot more fun.

2. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I know your coil is not meant to be outside all the time. The white PVC pipe is ok for a while but is not sunlight resistant. The gray electrical PVC pipe is sunlight resistant.

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

no, it's not designed to be a permanent antenna. It's designed for use on DX-peditions, and other field operations.... like field day. As such, it is exposed to sunlight only a day or two at a time. As of Sunday, it's been used on 11 field expeditions plus a few days of testing..... and shows no signs of yellowing or embrittlement.

If I were going to make one for a permanent or semi-permanent installation, I'd use a different plastic. But for it's intended purpose, PVC is fine.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

White PVC pipe in the air 24/7 since 2011...

IMAG0426_zpsrfbhoqvz.jpg

KK4NSF likes this.