The US Flag and your avatar

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KV6O, Aug 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the Flag Code wasn't enacted till the 1920's.... :p

3. W4KLE

W4KLE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the violation of any the rules for flag display when used as an avatar. The example given by WR2E is no different than a photo that could taken. If I take a photo of a flag at Arlington, does that mean I cannot ever show it to someone? I don't mean to come across as argumentative, I just don't see the connection to disrespect. As a 20 year veteran, I respect our flag as much as anyone can.

WR2E, KK7AMB and K3XR like this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

It's totally subject to interpretation, and the 1st Amendment really renders it moot anyway... which is why you can burn the flag at a protest, for example.

The part I see as relevant is. "(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature." I interpret that to mean that, as a design (like an Avatar), it shouldn't be used. A picture of anything that happens to have a flag in it is not a design - it's a picture. If Walmart (or any company, organization) change their logo to be the US flag with "WALMART" printed across the front, I't have an issue with that. A picture of a Walmart store with a US flag flying in front is not a design - it's a picture of a building that happens to have a flag flying.

Nobody's wrong; the point of my post was to point out the Code and allow folks to draw their own conclusion. I have my opinions based on the Code (and my personal experiences), and I do find it distasteful - but that's me.

5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I love living in a country where someone can have the luxury of being concerned about trivial matters such as this rather than, say, famine, war, or genocide. God Bless America.

KK5JY, WJ4U and K3XR like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and we're posting this on a ham radio site - decidedly a First World hobby were we can argue about amplifier power needs, WinLink, FT8, etc... :D

From the original post:

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

..... https://dxheat.com/db/KV6O/

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing to do with me other than they are showing my callsign. Flag looks to be a country identifier, and isn't altered (might be a little clipped). Nothing wrong with that.

Putting a picture of a radio, or the callsign ON the flag would be wrong, IMHO...

You can read and interpret the Flag Code (ww.usflag.org/uscode36.html) yourself. I think most people are familiar with some of the rules, like where a the US Flag should be placed in a the front of a room, or in relation to other flags, or how it should be flown. A flag flying upside down sticks out, no?

You are free to come to your own conclusions on what is proper and what shows respect - or doesn't.

9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm an American and respect the country and flag even if I don't agree with everything that is happening, but we are on an Internationally accessed forum and I know good and well there are many people here on QRZ that have contempt for the US and other countries. (including other Americans) I suggest everyone leave their contempt at the door and enjoy this forum and our hobby.

I don't use Facebook due to the fact that it's a drama factory. I would definitely appreciate keeping the drama here on QRZ to a minimum.

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you feel about people who have a tattoo of the American flag?

Asking for a friend.