The Upcoming Eclipse

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6NYA, Aug 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha

W4IOA and KD0XL like this.
  2. WB4WHJ

WB4WHJ Subscriber QRZ Page

I will be asleep. I work the midnight shift. I will watch it on the evening news.
    It will probably rain anyway.

3. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Doubtful it will be raining in Central Oregon where I'm going.

Contrary to some (misinformed) reports, the eclipse won't be satanists, wiccans and pot. Some people love to make up scenarios the encompass some, and maybe all of their favorite boogeymen in one tidy event.

My biggest concern is the smoke from the western forest fires. It's been smoky here in the Tri-Cities area for at least a week with no sign of it clearing soon.

4. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1979, the eclipse was pretty much total over Maryhill WA, where there's a full-scale replica of Stonehenge (using reinforced concrete rather than hand-worked stones), and it's a complete circle with all lintels attached. There was quite a crowd of latter-day Druids on hand, according to an article in the current issue of "Discover" magazine.

In Western WA, as stated earlier, it was cloudy, rainy, and VERY dark for a couple of minutes. WX7P, I wish you success and good viewing. We've been getting the smoke from the fires in BC for almost two weeks now but it's supposed to rain this evening and/or Sunday. After zero precipitation for 53+ days, that will be most welcome.

KI7MDI likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will sacrifice a chicken in the backyard at midnight on the 20th just to make sure the big dragon will spit out the sun. Can't be too careful with these things. Don't believe it? Ask the Mayans.:eek:

And a word of advice, never stand in water during an eclipse, it's bad.

WB4WHJ and WR2E like this.
  6. WB4WHJ

WB4WHJ Subscriber QRZ Page

The school system here are keeping the kids late so they can view the event safely. I will be viewing the insides of my eye lids. :)

7. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed that the last time it happened near me. I was studying engineering in Ames, Iowa and I saw the sky get an odd kind of dark while I was taking one of my exams. Odd, as in not like a sunset or a cloudy day. As I was walking back to my dorm I noticed that the sun filtered through the leaves had these crescent shapes. I know it's not wise to look into the sun but I had to look and see what was up for just a second. I had a WTF moment, an eclipse and no one told me? Well, I had exams so it's possible I just missed it. I got back to my dorm room and hastily constructed one of those pinhole boxes to get a better look. It didn't work well but I got a good enough look before the moon's shadow left.

This time I'll be better prepared. I'm looking for a welding helmet or goggles instead of some cheap paper glasses. It's likely overkill but I thought I might teach myself how to weld and this is just the first part of my set of gear. I'll also make a pinhole box and keep a couple convex mirrors handy. I plan to go to one of my brothers' places and watch with their kids. Might make a day of it. They'll be home because day care is closed that day.

I know if the kids see their uncle looking at the sun with glasses then they will want to try. I'm looking for something I know will be safe for their young eyes. I figure I'll follow NASA suggestion with getting #14 shade welding glass.

Judging by how some people claim others might react to this I'm not sure that's "water" they'll be standing in. Still bad though.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After that whole calendar thing, I don't trust the Mayans anymore.

WZ7U likes this.
  9. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

All the local Druids are heading for ..... http://carhenge.com/ ...... no Mayans as far as I know.

My neighbors objected the last time we had a live chicken sacrifice for the grill so it's a 12 pack and a bucket of KFC for the big event. :D

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's (Carhenge) cute and I bet a lot of fun too.