ad: elecraft

The Upcoming Eclipse

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6NYA, Aug 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope it happens during the day!

It's actually the day after my daughter's 50th birthday ... makes me feel well-aged.

The eclipse in 1979 was interesting. It was a typical Puget Sound winter morning, with clouds so heavy there was no indication of actually where the sun was. Right at the time it was starting, one of the guys had set up a recording light meter. Didn't need it to tell us: it was getting very dark. Not totally (94% or so), but way darker than it "should" have been for midmorning.

W6NYA likes this.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard that Baofeng has a pair of eclipse glasses coming out soon!:eek:
    I am waiting for the frames to come out in camo!

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, that nasal beverage thing sucks! :mad::rolleyes::p:D

K7MH likes this.
  4. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I still remember the March 1970 eclipse. We lived in Harford county, Maryland, about 20 miles east of Baltimore. Media was saying that the eclipse was 89 percent total in Baltimore and we were east of that, so probably 90 percent or more. I tried to take pictures with an old style instamatic camera, but they didn't come out very well. Authorities were worried about people in Ocean City, Maryland, a popular beach resort. It was 99 percent total there and a real potential danger for eye damage, but in early March there probably weren't very many people there.

Ben

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

That was when I first learned about the concept of an eclipse, and wanted to see one ever since:

http://onetuberadio.com/2017/07/26/take-your-kids-to-see-the-eclipse/

6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankfully the path of maximum totality passes right over my house (literally within a mile or two of it), so I just need to go out in my front yard.. no traffic, no crazy. I have no plans to participate in emcomms. The local authorities are treating it like any other Clemson home game. They know what they are doing and don't need our "help."

WZ7U and W6NYA like this.
  7. K9PAC

K9PAC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[

"Mama always told me not look into the eyes of the sun..."[/QUOTE] But Momma, that's where the fun is!

My farm is right in the center of the path of totality in IL. If it is cloudy, I'll be in a tree stand in the woods to watch how the animals react. Either way, great show for all.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a fair chance a solar eclipse will happen during the day. ;)

KB9UWU, WU8Y and W6NYA like this.
  9. KI7MDI

KI7MDI Subscriber QRZ Page

I will be driving from Phoenix to central Kansas next week to visit family. Turns out we will be about 90 miles from the path of totality. We don't plan on getting any closer. It looks like we will be at about the 95% mark. Should be interesting. As a bonus, I'll be there for the ARRL Kansas State convention in Salina.

10. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Its going to rain.

WB4WHJ likes this.