The Ultimate DAYTONMOBILE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:29 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes and no. The early buses had reduction gears on the ends of the axles -- they could climb a tree, but the engine was about 50 RPM below flying apart, going down the freeway. Not to mention they lacked power at those speeds. The later ones had bigger engines, no reduction gears, and were decent at lower freeway speeds. If you had the time and money, you could build an engine that would push a bus to at least 100 MPH - but they get really scary at that speed.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a guy in Costa Mesa who put a blown Oldsmobile V8 in the pickup bed and rigged the transmission, drivetrain, and shift linkage to fit. That thing was wicked, it would pull wheelies like crazy.:D

Obviously a lot of people don't understand that a 2.2 liter type one is not your daddy's VW motor, and will pull a bus up any hill like walking the dog.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Aironado.jpeg Here Pat, take the Aireonado.

WA6MHZ, W7UUU and WA7PRC like this.
  4. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

In high school, I had a buggy built by an auto shop grad. A sunroof beetle chassis pan was shortened behind the driver, and the body was cut off between the doors and back side windows. It had an added plywood back wall, and the fabric sunroof was fastened to the top. A plywood "pickup" box cover had been built over the engine and transaxle. I registered it as a pickup truck.

The buggy had the old 36 horse engine, with a bus transaxle having the reduction gears behind the wheels at the ends of the swing axles. In first gear, it would beat ANYTHING off the line. Of course, with the reduction gears, first gear topped out at 7 MPH. When I shifted, I was left in the dust.

There was a strip cut and patched in the blacktop of my street. A water line had been extended across to a newly constructed house two doors up from me. There was so much torque in low, if I hit that strip while accelerating away from my driveway, the back would hop up into the air, and would keep on hopping forever until I took my foot off the accelerator. The hopping was not fun, I could hit my head on the roof, and the hard landings might shake the fillings out of your teeth.

A full tank of gas for it in 1970 cost $6.00. I didn't track the gas mileage.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I rode in more than one in my misspent youth in the late 60s and early 70s, and was amazed if the driver could get the silly thing up to 60 mph. I also rode in one that unfortunately got a nick in the windshield from a pebble. We watched as that slowing expanded, the windshield bowed in, and before the driver could get us stopped, showered us with safety glass. That cursed vehicle was not what anybody means when they talk about "German engineering." :D

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend had an old '59 Beetle and he could drive it around in circles in the shopping center parking lot and roll it and have it come back up on its wheels! No seat belts - haha.

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The vehicle pictured is built on a 1968 chassis. In theory, it could have the 1200, 1300 or 1500 cc engine, my bet is that it's a 1500.

Of course a lot could be done, and probably was done, to improve performance. Point is, one can tell just by looking that the aerodynamics of that "camper" are pretty poor compared to the Bug, Bus/camper, or truck. That and the weight increase will negatively affect top speed, acceleration, uphill speed, and MPG.

It's NOT "the ultimate Daytonmobile" by a long shot. Not unless someone wants to get there at 50 mph while getting maybe 22 MPG.

8. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a rolling tornado magnet!!!!!!
    stay far, far away from it.

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be ultra easy to update the engine. the front suspension and brakes are crummy but useable. In 1968 they went to a double joint rear axel that improved stability also, all US spec 1968 VW beetles had the 1500 cc single port engine. That was a teapot, the US models only had 50 horses (due to Smog restrictions), and around 60 ft. lbs. of torque, not much but useable with the stock gearing. One trick would be to install a bus transaxle in it, if it wasn't already done to give it better drivability. I agree, the highway mileage on that thing would be around 25 or so, not that good.

But to put things in perspective, when I bought my GT350, gas mileage was the last thing on my mind, same applied when I bought my pickup. Most people buy fun vehicles for fun, not for economy, unless you are poor, in which case, you should not buy it in the first place. If you are worried about fuel economy, and your poor, get a used Prius, they can be had dirt cheap.

Oh, and FWIW, that little sucker will do 60 to 65 all day long, the H5 was a high revving little engine with peak power in the 4500 to 5000 RPM range. That sounds like a lot but the H5 would run at 45 to 46 hundred rpm all day long. All you had to do was keep the valves adjusted, and drop a 009 distributor in one, and the reliability would amaze you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 4:38 PM
  10. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Way back in the day I had a VW Khombi micro bus that had push out front windshields. I believe VW made the bus for over 70 years and it was a big hit with the surfer crowd. A new version of the bus is suppose to be out in 2022 and it will be interesting to see what the camper version will look like.

A real Dayton mobile is in the picture, the ultra rare VW camper that was available, in 1 of the microbus versions. There were maybe 6 versions of the camper(?)I am thinking, but maybe the real VW folks can chime in. A Porsche engine could be made to fit in the bus and that made it a lot better driver.

VWcamper.jpg

KA4DPO likes this.