ad: Schulman-1

The Ultimate DAYTONMOBILE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:29 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then you have to rent a car and pay gas for the Cincy to Dayton trip, a couple of nites at a hotel. God forbid packing and shipping and schlepping around the airport with that SX-88 that he would find. That alone would cost more than the airfare.

2. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hamvention needs Pat.

Pat needs Hamvention.

Just trying to give him a reasonable alternative.

If you want to argue about it, ring up Mr. Debakey.

3. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Big deal.

Cincinnati is only 55 miles from Dayton. Hop skip & a jump... hell, if I’m driving to Hamvention this year I’LL pick him up at the Airport & bring him back. Easey Peasy.

If he’s going, he’d be staying in a motel or hotel anyway.

The schlepping of the tsotchkes, well, not an insurmountable obstacle. I can think of at least 4 ways to handle it.

4. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

All of you who say the bug engine would be overloaded don't seem to understand the bus had the exact same motor.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Way back in the mid 70s I worked for a TV repair shop that used a VW bus as their service truck. The middle seat had been removed so it left a fairly good size area for TVs and tool and parts boxes.

It was so underpowered that if there was a headwind of more than 15 mph or so it wouldn’t slow down if you shifted into 4th gear. To maintain a top speed of about 55 or so you had to leave it in 3rd gear and kept it floored. A slight incline would drop you down to 45 of 50 mph. It was kind of fun to drive but way underpowered.

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course it did.

But the bus didn't have air resistance of the camper. Nor the weight.

7. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you know that VW sold a version of the bus as a single cab pickup truck, intended for carrying cargo.

Same exact engine. Although I would admit that the bug camper would be better off with a dual port engine from later years.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yes. It was like a bus without the body behind the front seats.

The main point is that if someone expects to do 70+ mph with the bug camper and get 40 MPG, they're in for a very rude awakening.

KK6NOH likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

vwgroovn.gif