The Ultimate DAYTONMOBILE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:29 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Gosh, is this 75 meters? My car is better than your car, radio, antenna, net, etc. Just watch the flick and smile along with the proud owner. They look as if they are having a blast with their new camper. Isnt that what it is all about? Juz sayyin…..

chuck

2. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

(Insert stoner voice)
    Dude, your post is uncool and heavy, you harshed my mellow, total buzz kill man.

N0TZU, W4NNF and K9ASE like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The ultimate Dayton Mobile for going around Xenia seeing stuff:

dayton.jpg

Going down an isle and get tired, go in the back and sleep.
    Let them walk around you....

WA6MHZ, W1TRY and N0TZU like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You just stepped into my back yard. I have built, and rebuilt many VW's, and I can tell you the mileage in the 60's increased dramatically up through about 1967. The 60 bug you referenced had a 1.2 liter engine that had to work it's butt of just to haul the car. Add to that a low 7:1 compression ratio, and the low power to weight ratio, and it was a dog. The original Solex carbs also sucked and replacing it with a Weber unit made it possible to lean out the mixture which improved acceleration and fuel economy at the same time. Around 1964 VW introduced the 1.3 liter engine that had an improved intake manifold and larger intake and exhaust valves, they also made aerodynamic improvements. The average fuel mileage for the 65 bug was about 28 MPG if you drove normally. When they introduced the 1500 cc and the 1600 cc engines, mileage decreased only slightly but performance increased a lot.

It is easy to bump a 1600 up to 2.2 liters and get gobs of torque out of it to haul a camper, by simply selecting a cam with the proper lift and duration, and it will still average 20 to 22 MPG with the camper configuration. I don't know of any motor home that can average 22 MPG. Sadly, the type 1 engine is no longer in production in Mexico but you can still get them and all of the mods that can be done on the 1600 can also be done on the 1500 but requires more modification to the case. The number three webbing has to be TIG welded or it will crack, and high strength case savers are a must for all cylinder studs. The addition of a forged counter weighted crankshaft, and case relief around the cam is also necessary for crankshaft clearance, as are double thrust cam bearings.

If you want to build the motor home, the super beetle platform is the one you want to build it on.

Starting in 1972 the Super beetle was sold along with the old stock 1600, the way to tell the super beetle from the stocker was by the curved windshield and the additional rear louvers on the super bug. It also has a Macpherson strut front suspension that was miles ahead of the old stressed leaf spring, anyone who has ever replaced the front spring knows what I'm talking about, it's inside a tube and you need one big hammer, and knuckles of steel to get it in there. The super bug also has disk brakes in the front, way better than the crappy old drums. Doing the bore and stroke mods is not hard, modified dual port heads are a must, as is an extra oil cooler (VW engines are oil and air cooled), and lastly, electronic ignition and fuel injection is a must. Mofoco or GEX will build a high torque engine for the Bug motorhome, for a pretty reasonable price if the builder is not DIY inclined.

KA0HCP, W1TRY, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pat,

Not to interrupt this fascinating discussion of Herbie's non-sentient brethren & family members...

I just did a quick search on Google for cheap flights from San Diego to Cincinnati, from Thursday May 14th to Sunday May 17th. It shows a 4 1/2 hour non-stop Frontier flight starting at $201 (round trip); that does not include baggage fees, so figure one suit case at about $50 each way.

https://www.google.com/flights?outp...20-05-17;c:USD;e:1;sd:1;t:f&spf=1581625899090

I'm SURE you paid more than that in gas alone, the last time you drove cross-country.

Plan NOW, and you can arrive at Hamvention in comfort. Wait too long, and that cheap fares will be gone.

It's up to you. I can't do anything else for you. ( Sorry, I have no pull with Frontier. Now if it was Spirit, I could see what Little Miss Field Day could do for you... )

N2EY and K9ASE like this.
  6. KA4DPO

You just can't take it can you.

7. KA4DPO

It is a good idea and very custom. It is a fun and useful project, that can be built for under $15K.

8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember the Chinook campers from the 70's? A fiberglass camper body and a Toyota pickup cab and chassis? Very unpleasant sleeping in one with 4 grown men who have gorged on beer and junk food. The 5th guy bailed and slept under a tree after the chorus of barking frogs.

KA4DPO and N2EY like this.
  9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Musta Been all da Yunions on the White Castles....

KA4DPO and WZ7U like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not only that. Even the VW Microbus had trouble with hills. This thing? Better drop a Corvair engine in it or something. ;)

KA4DPO and N5PAR like this.