ad: hrd-2

The Ultimate DAYTONMOBILE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:29 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! I want one of these!
    bug-camper-10.jpg
    Since its basically a VW BUG (a well loaded down VW BUG) it would get great gas mileage. And U can sleep in Rest Stops and Parking lots all along the way. Of course their is no restroom faciliites, so you would have tor rely on McDonalds and such for those activities. But it looks like U can sleep comfortably in the back.
    hereis a better video of it.

It has an overhead console where all the radios could be mounted. The roof has ample room for every imaginable antenna. Not very aerodynamic, But probably still 40MPG!

KA4DPO, AE1P and K0UO like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

Probably sneak back a SX-88 in it too!!

K9ASE likes this.
  3. WA6MHZ

here is how it mounts to a VW frame and pan
    bugger.jpg
    I'd sure want to have a good engine and transmission for this! Dayton is a LONG LONG ways from Kaliforny!

4. WA6MHZ

Here is the dashboard
    buugerdash.jpg
    it just begs for a Heathkit HW-2036 under the ashtray; and a Swan 350 under the passenger dash!

AE1P likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some fun facts:

The classic 1960s VW Beetle gets MPG in the low 20s - unmodified. With the added weight and wind resistance of the modified version, miles per gallon will go way down.

VW Beetles weren't known for acceleration nor top speed in their unmodified state, and adding weight and wind resistance will only make them worse. The resulting added strain on the engine and transmission are left for others to consider.

Modern minivans like the Honda Odyssey get MPG in the high 20s/low 30s on the highway, and the high teens in the city, as long as one doesn't drive like a maniac. And that's fully loaded.

KA4DPO, KU4X, N2SR and 1 other person like this.
  6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Astro/Safari Camper conversion van would be more practical...

K4AGO likes this.
  7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You took the words right out of my mouth. I drove a '63 Bug back in college and gas mileage was not its strong point. I'd typically get around 19 to 22 MPG with a good tailwind ;)

8. WA6MHZ

in the back is a full kitchen, buggerback.jpg table and convertible bed, hide the SX-88 under the table on the way home!

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. WA6MHZ

Dont think it would hold up well with the TORNADO ALLEY we have to cross along the way either!

KA0USE likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1963, 19 to 22 MPG was pretty good. Not so much today.

And the Beetle had very good aerodynamic properties for its time. The modified one....not so much.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2SR, K9ASE and K7TRF like this.